Friday, May 28, 2010

What a Difference a Week Makes!


Last Friday, I was in Lund at the Student Karneval listening to Rufus Wainwright singing his signature song "Hallelujah."

This Friday afternoon, I was the one giving a stirring rendition of this same magical tune when the 2:00 p.m. alarm sounded and it was finally my turn to . . .

. . . USE THE LAUNDRY ROOM FOR UP TO SEVEN HOURS!!!

Hallelujah, Hallelujah . . .

In the morning while waiting for two o'clock, 14.00 here, to arrive I had time to put the finishing touches on our offensive play sheet and kicking game depth charts.

I should mention that the last set for Thursday's opening night of the S¡esta! outdoor rock music festival, located about one VERY LOUD American mile from Icelandia, started at 12:05 a.m. FRIDAY!

Always save the loudest band for last is my motto and they did! Quiet returned to the wee hours of the morning at 12:45 a.m. I know because I was held captive by the music until then.

Today it rained most of the afternoon but you could still hear the music wailing in the distance until an incredibly loud thunder clap and lightening bolt hit some where very close to Icelandia. The rain picked up and I have not heard music for the last six hours or so. You just HAVE to love that jokester Thor and that hammer of his!!!

I spoke with Roger Kelly of EuroPlayers.com today and he gave me the heads up that the

0-1 Seinajoki Crocodiles,
coached by blog friend Erik Slivoskey, was playing at

the also 0-1 Tampere Saints
in a crucial Maple League game in Finland

The best part is that it was going to be on live on the internet! Thus I spent the late afternoon watching the Crocs manhandle the Saints 31-10 behind an absolute beast of a running back named Robert Bishop and a stifling 3-5-3 blitzing defense.

When that game ended I was faced with a choice, walk on over to the now silent S¡esta! or go see a movie. Afterall, "Sex and the City 2" was debuting.

Yea, right!

It was a Disney Action Film for me!

These were the only two films playing at the Hässleholm Kulturhus Park Biograferna cinema at 21.30, i.e., 9:30 p.m. The lobby was packed with Swedish women in their 20's and 30's and a few men making the ultimate sacrifice and hoping for lightening to strike town again as they endured this month's ultimate chick flick with their dates.

Our little theatre was made up mostly of men and Persian families, really. It was a good movie and entertained me for its full two hours. I'm now thinking about becoming a Muslim if I don't join the Church of Sweden first.

Back to the scouting grind tomorrow as I train it down to Malmö to watch next week's opponent, the 0-3 Oskarshamn Dockers play the 2-0 Limhamn Griffins.

I was SO close to being the leader of Contreras' Commandos!

No comments: