Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Emigrants


I spent the day in Icelandia trying to put the finishing touches on our Ekeby game plan for Saturday.

Once that chore was finished, I spent the rest of the day absorbed in finishing the book than Johan Hammarqvist recommended,


This is the first of a four part tale written between 1949 and 1959 by Vilhelm Moberg about a Swedish farming family's emigration to the United States in the 1850s.

The fact that they were moving from the south of Sweden and mentioned many of the cities I've visited made it even more interesting. It was an interesting read and I look forward to reading the next three books in the series.

Anyone in America with Swedish roots, i.e. Dick Bellman, should read all of Moberg's Emigrant Series.

1 comment:

Dick said...

I will add The Emigrants to my reading list, but I must first finish the Steig Larsson trilogy. The Girl Who Played with Fire is really intriguing. George Contreras, football coach and part time book critic! Thanks for the good leads on books.