Wednesday, March 4, 2026

Lazy Maui - Day II


Tuesday, March 3, 2026

Our first full day in Maui was a good one.

We were gretted by an interesting sky as the Sun rose over the dormant Haleakala volcano located a good distance behind the Johnson's condo in Kihei.

The view from their balcony would
would also serve as my "office"

The view West as Mark and I
started our morning constitutional

Yes, we both still believe in the Constitution.

The Devil moves all around us!

I was strong, but the fact that they didn't open for another three hours helped.

The views from our walk . . .

. . . made the distance that we cruised . . .

. . . seem much shorter

I did have some work that I needed to get done on my computer in the afternoon so I stayed in the condo while Susie and Laurie
went to the beach across the street.

The go-to shore when staying
at the Johnson's Maui condo

Laurie LOVES the Sun and the sand

Susie sent me a text message that Laurie had forgotten her book in the condo, could I please bring it down to her?

But of course, my love!

The break from the computer was good for me and I decided that I would join them tomorrow for some sand and surf.

That Official Maui Island Bird
The Hawaiian Chicken

It followed me for a few yards on the way back to the condo.

Stalking its prey?

For another hour or so, Laurie and I were both busy.

Laurie toiling in her office

I'm doing the same in mine

We regrouped in the afternoon and then marched North up Kihei Road to find a good grazing spot.

Fred's Mexican Cafe
2511 S. Kihei Road, Kihei

Fred's is famous for its Taco Tuesday Happy Hour menu and margaritas, so of course we detoured.

It was as good as I remembered it but instead of tacos, due to my new dietary regimen, I opted for their steak salad with several delicious Mexican cuisine inspired additions.

I added the majority of salsa that was left in the bowl by the others for dipping their verboten tortilla chips.

Zesty.

After a good meal, we agreed to follow Susie's advice and walk even farther north to the Kihei Caffe's location in the Maui Coast Hotel for their Happy Hour that included live music. 

The things one sees while trudging
along to another Happy Hour

We made a wise decision as the Maui Coast Hotel would put us well over a mile from the Johnson's condo.

As I walked with our two slightly inebriated ladies to the next Happy Hour, Mark offered to walk back to the condo to get the car and meet us at the new watering hole.

A car ride home with not one but two potential male sober drivers would prove to be a good move.

EUREKA!
The Hanohano Pool Bar was the spot
2259 S. Kihei Road, Kihei

This trio was engaging, energetic
and excellent musicians

Special mention must go to the man playing the guitar on the right, WOW!

Let's take a short listen

In their cups . . .

No, they were actually in control but the drive home was a good ending to a fun first full day in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii.

On to EuroBall news . . .

Italian DI Standings

Italian DII Standings

Italian DIII Standings
Groups A & B

Italian DIII Standings
Groups C & D

Will Group C ever get the get the green light to start their season? 

Italian DIII Standings
Groups E & F

A young Italian who plays for
the Milano Seamen has signed to 
play for the DI FCS Fordham Rams
based in New York City

Serious looking weather facing the
Osos Rivas and Zaragoza Hurricanes?

Grover Conner "Ox" Emerson
5'-11" - 203 lbs.
Graduate of Orange H.S. in Texas
University of Texas, 1929 & 1930
University of Texas Hall of Honor

I saw an article on-line today about the ten most deserving players who are not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame but should be.

The author ended his essay stating that of the ten, Ox Emerson was the most deserving.

I was familiar with nine of them but not with the story of Ox Emerson, so I investigated.

In 1931, Emerson signed with the NFL's Portsmouth Spartans for a staggering $75/game.

In 1934, the Spartans franchise moved and became the Detroit Lions. In 1935, the Lions won the NFL Championship.

In 1936, the Lions set an NFL record for most rushing yards in a season, 2,885 yards, in 12 games. That record stood for 36 years until the 1972 Miami Dolphins broke it in a 14 game season.

After playing for the Spartans/Lions from 1931-1937, Ox geared up for one last NFL season in 1938 as a player/coach for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

During his eight year career he was named All-Pro six times.

He earned a spot on the Detroit Lions All-Time team.

He was named to the NFL's 1930s All-Decade team and is one of only ten players named to any of the NFL's All-Decade Twentieth Century squads not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I agree, Ox belongs.

1953 inaugural ACC season
with only eight universities

Back Row, L. to R.: Virginia, Duke, Clemson, North Carolina and Maryland

Front Row, L. to R.: North Carolina State, South Carolina and Wake Forest

All true

A solid day of exercise

By the way, in yesterday's post I questioned if a have been drinking three liters of water daily. I had a chance to measure my intake of water today and I'm glad to report that I'm consuming a lot more than that the three liter minimum.

I'd follow our Glorious Leader into
a McDonald's anytime, anywhere

Aloha!

Stay tuned for more, "Adventures in Paradise."

No comments: