Mon.-Thurs., Sept. 8-11, 2025
Hard to believe that 9/11 was now 24 years ago.
After yet another quiet week, I opted to head down to San Marino on Thursday afternoon to watch, what else, a high school football game.
First, though, I was in need of a fortifying pre-game meal so I headed to Highland Park.
A burger and fries sounded GREAT!
I have tried the pie here on previous visits and was left a tad underwhelmed.
The Gold Standard of Smash Burgers
A double meat patty smash cheese
burger with pastrami, fries and
a Swell root beer
YUM!
I was now 100% ready for tonight's game.
Maranatha H.S. Minutemen
2 Wins - 1 Loss
at
San Marino H.S. Titans
1 Win - 2 Losses
The new Administration Building
When I attended Kindergarten at San Marino's K.L. Carver Elementary School in 1952, this was the site of our campus.
The following school year, K.L. Carver was moved to its then new and current location about a mile farther east on Huntington Drive. At the same time, the newly created San Marino H.S. took over the old K.L. Carver site.
As a young boy growing up in San Marino, I was in awe of the high school and all of its highly successful athletic teams, especially their football and basketball squads.
Led by RB and C.I.F.-Southern Section Player of the Year, Bill "Skip" Face who lived down the street from us, the 1955 Titan eleven won the school's first C.I.F.-SS championship.
They would go on to win more C.I.F.-SS Football Championships in 1957, 1964, 1988 and 2015.
In 1958, even though the Titans lost the C.I.F.-SS Championship game to Claremont H.S., 20-0, Titan QB Bill Redell was named the C.I.F.-SS Player of the Year. To at least one 11 year old boy, his play on the field that year was Homeric.
The San Marino campus was always a small cramped one for athletics and had some quirks.
The historic building . . .
. . . still sits surrounded by the gym,
pool, baseball field and Titan Stadium
S.M.H.S. also has a great baseball tradition
An ode to a fine Titan Football Coach
It was a . . .
. . . BEAUTIFUL night for American football!
The required run through was ready
I was a bit disappointed to read in the souvenir program that the Varsity had but 32 players and the J.V. squad 16. The Titans are not fielding a Freshman team in 2025. A total of but 48 players turning out for the football program is not a good sign.
Titans on Offense
Effective run play . . .
. . . mixed in with a solid passing attack
My seat was on the 50 yard line
The total amount of spectators at the game was disappointedly less than 500, I felt like I was at a UCLA game.
The Titan QB had a weird throwing
motion but the ball got there consistently
HALFTIME SCORE
Maranatha - 28
San Marino - 14
Unfortunately, the Titan Defense could
not handle the Minutemen's passing
The view of Titan Stadium at
Halftime from the visitors side
The S.M.H.S. Band was also small
but they gave a solid performance
FINAL SCORE
Maranatha (3-1) - 42
San Marino (1-3) - 28
News from the net . . .
Team Canada vs. Team Mexico
in Mexico City on December 13, 2025
Anybody up for this one?
The logos of the NCAA FBS teams
that are still undefeated
The Washington Huskies have a bye this week so our logo will still be on this list next week.
As for the NFL's list of the Undefeated,
amazingly half the teams lost in Week #1
Who would have guessed that outcome.
By the way, the Washington Commanders lost tonight to Green Bay Packers so they will be off this list next week.
Having Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. in literally
ANY position of leadership is so
incredibly BAD!
Reading Is FUNdamental!
The 18th and Final book in the
Maisie Dobbs series
Sad to read that this is the last book in the historical mystery series that took stock of world events from the start of World War I and the start of the Atomic Age.
Winspear's writing was always thoughtful and insightful, I am so glad to have stumbled onto this series by accident at the Camarillo Public Library. I was also grateful that the library had all 18 installments of the series on hand making the continuous reading easy to accomplish.
Here is to wishing us all a fun weekend with family and friends.


























No comments:
Post a Comment