Friday, September 12, 2025
What a fun day this turned out to be!
It all started with Mary
We were all excited for her when it was announced that she had won the election today at her elementary school for the position of Student Council Sergeant-at-Arms.
WAY TO GO, MARY!
I drove down to La Cañada-Flintridge for lunch today with two dear friends.
I shared a lot of laughs with these
two cherished reprobates today
Besides being good friends, Paul Sabolić and Michael D'Antuono are two of the three steadfast readers of this blog.
Back in Lyon, France, Julien Urgenti is the third one.
After our fabulous lunch, I headed back to Ventura County to attend a high school football doubleheader of sorts.
About two weeks ago, our son Michael asked the simple question, "Have you attended a game at every high school venue in Ventura County?"
After a little research, I came up with the answer, "No, I had never attended an 8-man football game at Villanova Prep in Ojai."
It was time to change that.
Valley Oaks CES Vanguards
2 Wins - 1 Loss
at
Villanova Prep Wildcats
0 Wins - 0 Losses
The game kicked off at 4:30 p.m. as Villanova Prep has no lights.
I thought that this being the home team Wildcats' first game of the season, while it was the Vanguards fourth game, would be a key factor.
It was.
As the Wildcats left the field . . .
. . . they passed the Vanguards
heading to the field chanting,
"WE ARE THE VANGUARDS!"
A mini-confrontation occurred as the Wildcats stopped dead in their tracks and started yelling back in unison, "WE ARE THE WILDCATS!"
Private school chippiness that could have led to a Miami-Notre Dame pre-game brawl.
Emphasis on could have.
Villanova Prep's rustic stadium
The stands would be packed
by game time
My view of the opening Kickoff
Villanova Prep on on Offense
A HUGE hole for this Wildcat
to run through
The hefty Vanguards RB ran
like a bowling ball
The Wildcats Defense was under duress
Valley Oaks pounding the rock . . .
. . . and going over the top
The Wildcats almost blocked this Punt
8-man scrum
Both schools relied primarily on their running game with sporadic success when passing.
I felt that the Vanguards' game day experience having three games under their belt while Villanova Prep was engaged in their season opener was the big difference today.
FINAL SCORE
Valley Oaks CES (3-1) - 46
Villanova Prep (0-1) - 20
The Sun was setting on the field at
Villanova Prep
There was still more football being played tonight in the Ojai Valley.
I decided to follow the referee crew from Villanova Prep to Nordhoff H.S. to view 11-man football game scheduled to Kickoff at 7:00 p.m.
It would be the 13th football game that I've attended this season.
The drive from private school Villanova Prep to public school Nordhoff H.S. takes but five minutes.
Desert Chapel H.S. Eagles
0 Wins - 1 Loss
at
Nordhoff H.S. Rangers
2 Wins - 1 Loss
Nordhoff is another great,
rustic setting for a game
But wait, across the way should be the Rangers' home stands erected years ago atop a large dirt hillside.
Where did the stands and the hillside go?
I asked a Nordhoff official about it and her response was a simple one.
Apparently, over the many years gophers had dug a massive amount of tunnels throughout the Nordhoff campus. Over the last two years, heavy rains flooded those tunnels and caused the entire hillside to collapse into itself thus destroying the home stands and its press box.
The smaller visiting stands have now been expanded to house all of the games spectators.
Well, they are the Rangers after all
Desert Chapel only had 17 players
The Eagles aired it out often
and not well
A successful Rangers' PAT
The only thing that the Rangers did wrong in the First Quarter was having their first PAT of the game boink off of the upright.
The Eagles kept passing to little avail
A nice sunset took my mind off
of the massacre in front of me
END OF THE FIRST QUARTER
Nordhoff - 34
Desert Chapel - 0
Between the drive to La Cañada-Flintridge and then back to Ojai plus sitting in the Sun at Villanova Prep, it had been a long day. I made the conscious decision to leave Nordhoff's impending rout and head home. If that first PAT kick had made it through the goal posts, the Mercy Rule would now be in effect.
Another Rangers' PAT
Before I could leave the stadium, a Rangers DB scored on a 25 yard pick-six to start the Second Quarter. The score was now Rangers 41 - Eagles 0, the Mercy Rule was in full effect.
I found out at home much later the final tally.
FINAL SCORE
Nordhoff (3-1) - 47
Desert Chapel (0-2) - 13
As many of you know, I believe that shutouts are fascist. Nice to see Desert Chapel go home to Palm Springs with a little dignity while Nordhoff notched an easy win.
While the Nordhoff game was going on, down at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena . . .
Mountain West Conference
New Mexico (1-1) was taking on
BIG-10 Conference UCLA (0-2)
The Bruins are nowhere near as fierce as this poster would suggest. New Mexico (2-1) spanked UCLA (0-3), 35-10.
The Bruins are in for a long year, I'm afraid.
Arizona State's tribute to 9/11
was a good one
Rams in Tennessee on Sunday
I hope that the Rams are
MUCH MORE fierce than UCLA
was in their pre-game poster
On to Jacob's Camarillo Stingers' Blue team Pop Warner game on Saturday at West Ranch H.S. against the Santa Clarita Wildcats Navy squad.

































No comments:
Post a Comment