Friday, April 11, 2025

The Pace is SO Much Slower in Camarillo


Wed. & Thurs., April 9 & 10, 2025
The slow process of recovering from jet lag continued along with the disheartening awareness that getting in the minimum 10,000 daily physical fitness steps in Camarillo would be much harder than in Gijón.

Por ejemplo . . .

A random tree stump on my
morning constitutional

On Thursday morning after dropping off Jacob at school and taking Laurie to Target, I walked home via a long circuitous route.

The walk took me past the entire Camarillo Premium Outlet Mall complex and . . .

. . . the usually packed In-n-Out
which would not open for another
two hours . . .

. . . over the Ventura Freeway,
a.k.a., the 101 . . .

. . . by the Memorial to those
Camarillo citizens who have served
in the Armed Forces . . .

. . . and even by some . . .

. . . stunning flora . . .

. . . an old school truck . . .

. . . and a fun lawn ornament

By the end of this long walk, I was hot, sweaty and sure that I was somewhere in the 12,000 to 15,000 step range.

Wrong.

I had covered a mere 8,578 steps. Another stroll in the evening would be necessary.

Today's walk seemed like a torturous bit of, dare I say it, exercise.

In Gijón I had covered far greater distances regularly with ease and zero fuss or stress.

The acclimation process continues . . .

Next week is Holy Week or, Semana Santa in Spain. It is a week of amazing, colorful processions which one absolutely MUST see at least once in their tourist travels.

Penitents, dressed up in colorful gowns with complimentary  hoods, carry huge floats around their city with statues of the saints and/or scenes from the Passion of the Christ. 

In Gijón, they might carry a
bottle of Sidra instead

It could happen.

The top two rows of teams
make it hard for a family of four
to attend a game

The Serie A Semifinals are set
with both games this Saturday

On a final note, we are still waiting to hear from Iberia Airlines about the one missing piece of luggage from our flight home last Sunday.

I'm starting to not feel good about this.

Reading Is FUNdamental!

I thoroughly enjoyed yet another
of Donna Leon's books set in Venice

This was the 33rd book in her Commissario Bruneti Mystery series. I've read them all and continue to be entertained by their probing into the psyche of the Venetian culture.

No comments: