Tuesday, April 8, 2025

Getting Re-Acclimated to Life in Sleepy Camarillo

 

Mon. & Tues., April 7 & 8, 2025

As you no doubt already know, life on Spain's Costa Verde and California's Pacific Coast are vastly different.

These first two days back in Ventura County took some getting used to once again.

As I think that I reported in an earlier post, Laurie lost a crown while were eating a meal in Gijón about ten days ago. On Monday, she called our dentist in Thousand Oaks to discuss her problem and he was able to squeeze her in at 11:00 a.m. that same morning.

AWESOME!

Since we only had one car since we have yet to replace Laurie's car that was totaled in an accident that was not her fault and not knowing if she would be coming out of anesthesia, I volunteered to drive her to her appointment.

No sense sitting in the
dentist's waiting room

Her appointment would take 90 minutes, so I thought that it would be time better spent if I walked to the nearby Cafe Ficelle to read more of my latest Donna Leon book, enjoy a cappuccino and savor one of the Cafe Ficelle's delicious English muffins that are truly unique.

Laurie was happy with the outcome of her visit but will have to wait a bit longer to get the needed repair work finished.

At this point I was feeling really tired. My normal sleep pattern in Gijón was about five to six hours a night. With the two trips to Marrakech and Los Angeles coming in a space of just seven days, I had gotten even less sleep.

At 3:00 p.m. on Monday, I decided to take a one hour nap.

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, thirteen blessed hours later!
 
I looked on FaceBook and the first
photo that I found was this one of
my favorite plaza in Gijón

I miss the city and the Mariners already.

On Tuesday morning, I got the fun privilege of driving grandson Jacob to school. His sister Mary had already left because she is taking a math class that starts before school on Tuesdays.

That left Jacob and I with about 40 minutes to catch up. I loved it!

After dropping him off at school, I headed to Old Town Camarillo, parked the car and started to walk. I need to keep getting my 10,000+ steps every day.

I've always liked this sign
on Ventura Blvd.

I stopped off at the Coffee Tree for a cappuccino and a blueberry scone, delicious!

The Coffee Tree displays the works
of local artists

If you are an Arsenal fan you
might want to buy this

The Coffee Tree has good murals . . .

. . . on two of its outdoor alcove walls

The Coffee Tree alcove also has
this artsy table that I liked

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Chapel

Serving Camarillo for 112 years now

Simple inside but . . .

. . . with ornate stain glass windows

Taco Tuesday lunch at Ruby's Cantina
with Laurie and Debi Murphy was just
as much fun as I thought it would be

My life in a nutshell

While I miss northern Spain somewhat, being back home in Camarillo felt extremely good to me.


No comments: