Thursday, September 24, 2026

A Day With a Wing-T Offense High School


Mon.-Weds., Sept. 21-23, 2026

Over the weekend I read an article about the Royal H.S. football team that was undefeated and running the Wing-T Offense with great success this season.

As some of you may know, this is the offense of choice for, shall we say, more mature coaches of a certain age.

Yes, my age.

Thus, on Wednesday, I arranged a visit to Royal to watch them practice. I was surprised to find out that Royal's Frosh team was playing at 4:00 p.m. before the Varsity's scheduled workout.


Crescenta Valley H.S. Falcons
Boulder League
4 Wins - 1 Loss

at

Royal H.S. Highlanders
Tri-County League
3 Wins - 2 Losses

Royal running the Wing-T with
 Shotgun Spread tweaks

Tweaks indeed but the misdirection was still there.

The beginning of . . .

. . . a Wingback Reverse

End of the First Quarter
Crescenta Valley - 0
Royal - 0

C.V. started asserting themselves

Halftime Score
Crescenta Valley - 22
Royal - 0

The Falcons superior size
turned the game in their favor

End of the Third Quarter
Crescenta Valley - 22
Royal - 0

C.V. QB scrambling for big yardage

Final Score
Crescenta Valley (5-1) - 30
Royal (3-3) - 0

Not a great game for Royal's Frosh version of the Wing-T, but now it was on to the main event.

The Highlanders' Varsity practice

I must say that Royal's Head Coach, Cody MacArthur, and his staff were all most welcoming and allowed me free access to all facets of their practice which I greatly appreciated.

All Offensive football comes down
to one-on-one blocking

Now that's a good looking
offensive formations

Nice kick-out block

I was having a ball!

Here comes another puller

RB reading a block well

I'd like to see the QB carry out
a full speed bootleg fake

It was 7:15 p.m. and getting close
to my bedtime, time to go home

THANK YOU Coach MacArthur and staff for the hospitality, I greatly appreciated it and look forward to watching the Highlanders (4-0) take on the Glendale Dynamiters (2-4) on Friday night.

More disturbing

This is the third California high school that I know of that has dropped its Varsity team for the same reason in the past two weeks.

I forgot to mention that the
RAMS WON on Monday night

They wore 1950s throwback uniforms

Those were the days of the 1950s

A subtle victory announcement
that I liked

The Huskies about to start
BIG-10 play this week

Good production from the
UW's Frosh so far this season

I wonder how many of them will opt to stay in Seattle for a second year?

Minnesota at 8:00 p.m.?

I thought that we left that time slot behind us when we bolted from the PAC-12.

187 votes?

American politics never ceases to amaze me.

I wonder if he lost to Mitch McConnell?

Let's see . . .

In the next 100 days, will trips to a Civil War Reenactment in Georgia, a DIII football game in Tennessee, a DI game in Seattle, visits to Prague, Vienna and Budapest plus a road trip to a high school game in Trona count?

I certainly hope so.

No comments: