Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My Last Full Day in Barcelona With an Old Friend


Tuesday, 28 June, 2016:

Today would be my last full day in Barcelona as I will be flying back to Upplands Väsby on Wednesday to pack up my belongings before flying home to California Friday morning.

Where to start . . .

Why breakfast at the Pinto Bar
in La Boqueria of course!

Time to meander, yet again . . .

These folks did not fare well in
this week's Spanish elections

 Detailed Street Sign
in Barri Gòtic

There's always room for churros
and chocolate, even in Catalan

And only 3.50 Euros too!

And oh so good for me too!

Laurie's three favorite Spanish words
El Corte Inglés

Nice Theater

Nice building in Example District

 Sherlock in a Spanish bookstore

 Modernista Buildings

A random building

Fishing can be fun!

Nice headline in a local newspaper
about the Italian National Team coach

After last night's 2-0 Italy win over Team España, he is now "el puto amo."

 Entrance to a Court of Justice Building

 Great European City's
MUST have statues

I stopped at the Bracaffé
for a midday Cafe con Leche

Soon after this coffee break I was joined by old friend Enrique Martín Alonso from Madrid who was in Barcelona on business.

We walked to a nearby restaurant called Joséphine that was a French style bistro with incredible, flavor filled dishes.

So good . . .

Enrique and that other guy

For many years Enrique has been the President of one of Spain's great American football clubs, Madrid's Osos Rivas.

We had a great time talking about EuroBall in general and the state of Spanish American football and the Osos in particular.

It has been so much fun seeing so many friends from all over the globe while visiting Barcelona this week.

Meanwhile, back to my meandering . . .

A really . . .

. . . really cool building

 And another

 As I said,
Great Cities = Great Sculptures
and . . .

. . . lots of statues of course

A new church

I did not go in for once.

7 de Julio?

Hey, that's my birthday!

I'll turn 69 years old in just a few days.

Lluís Compants

He was an important Republican leader in Barcelona during the Spanish Civil War.

Not a good thing since the Republican's lost.
  
 The Arc de Triomf

It was built as the main entrance for the 1888 Barcelona World Fair.

Triomf is the Catalan spelling of triumph.

 Cool bat in the lower left

Pathway towards Barcelona's
huge greenspace,
the Parc de Ciutadella

Love watching these ball
games in Spain and France too

Entry to Parc de Ciutadella

I'm cool . . .

 Jaume Garriga i Miquel

Died of battle wounds since the horse has a hoof off the ground.

Must have been a fierce warrior

Nice Crest

It mentions Alicante

This spot is 7.1 meters above the sea level in Alicante.

A great vacation spot on the Mediterranean near Murcia.

 Santa Maria del Mar

Santa Maria del Mar
empties into Barri Gòtic

Barri Gòtic streets

Barcelona is usually sunny

Art near the Cathedral

Love it!

"Get me to the church on time!"

A dragon to help sell
perfume . . . why not?

 Near a small street shrine

 Reminds me of walking
the Camino de Santiago in 2010

Our Camino Family member from Canada, Julie Ouellette, had this for breakfast almost every day.

Speaking of walking . . .

I trudged a bunch in steamy
Barcelona today

I LOVE THIS TOWN!!!

No comments: