Monday, June 27, 2016

Meandering in Barcelona's Many Neighborhoods, a Euro Cup 2016 Game and a Guitarra Española Concert


Monday, 27 June, 2016:

I needed to do a little shopping for presents to bring home to Laurie and the kids. So, I was out the door at a decent hour to meander through Barcelona's many neighborhoods in search of hidden treasures.

Ancient Alcohols in El Raval

El Mercat de Sant Antoni
in El Raval

Closed for renovations, I had never seen it before today.

 Spain vs. Italy
at 6:00 p.m. tonight

 "So, what is there to do
in Barcelona?"

 First stop, La Boqueria

Breakfast at the Pinotxo Bar
in La Boqueria

Juan had his FC Barça vest on, I think that it was his version of a Game Face for tonight's Euro Cup 2016 game between Spain and Italy. 

In an art gallery window

 Barcelona's citywide
rent-a-bike program

Barcelona Cathedral

 Ramon Berenguer III
MLXXXII - MCXXXI

You do the math.

He was the great Count of Barcelona who extended the province's territory to both sides of the Pyrenees during his reign.

 Gaudi style street lights

Sant Jordi
Patron Saint of Barcelona

A.K.A., San Jorge, St. George

Isn't that Sicily in the sky?

Random Workshop
in Barri Gòtic

Basilica Santa Maria del Pi

The Basilica Santa Maria del Pi
is a classic Gothic structure

The Basilica's side chapel

Tremendous Spanish Guitarist 

Ekaterina Záytseva is part of a group known as the Barcelona 4 Guitars. I saw them play in the gorgeous Palau de la Música Catalana a few years ago and they were great fun.

Tonight she would play a solo concert in the Basilica Santa Maria del Pi's side chapel.

I had her her here on a previous visit and looked forward to hearing her again later tonight.

One of my favorite things to do in Barcelona, besides eating and drinking, is to get lost in all of the city's small, twisting lanes.

Like these . . .

No cars allowed

Early morning quiet

Lonely walker

Starting to wake up

A city in full tourist mode now

Plaça del Pi, 2

What could be for sale in this tienda?

 Why fans amongst other things

Laurie had commissioned me to buy her two plain, black fans to add to her extensive collection.

Francisco here is the owner of this store, the Antigua Pasamaneria J. Soler founded in 1898. He waited on me and was great fun.

I found the two plain, black fans here and had a great time talking the current world geo-political situation with Francisco.

How many chickens die daily
to feed the world?

 Nice Dome

Barcelona's Main Post Office

Carnival Masks for sale
near the harbor

See the white one hanging on the right? That style mask is known as a Plague Mask because during those dark days of The Plaque, doctors would wear them with the beaks stuffed with aromatic herbs, spices and flowers to combat the odor of the dying and, they thought, perhaps stop the physicians from getting infected themselves. 

 Someone's personal boat

You just HAVE to have a helicopter
aboard your pleasure craft

Right?

View of the harbor through
a well situated restaurant

 Art on my harbor walk

The harbor

"La Parella"
by Lautaro Diaz

 Joan Salvat - Papasseit
Barcelona, 1894 - 1924

He was a beloved Catalan poet.

 Columbus still pointing the way

The iconic Columbus Monument
at the base of Las Ramblas

"PLAY BALL!"

Sturdy

In the evening, I was off to the Barri Gòtic to the La República RestoBar to watch Spain and Italy do battle on the pitch.

But on the way . . .

I stopped into Santa Maria
de la Merced

 Nice Altar

 Good Cupola

St. Michael beating
the Devil himself

 Cool Wine Shop

The view from my seat at
La República

I was early and the crowd arrived a bit late for the 6:00 p.m. start.

Ours was definitely a pro Italian crowd, I was surrounded.

I was expecting to finally meet long time EuroBall coach Sebastian Serrano at La República tonight. He is another long time Facebook friend that I had yet to meet in person.

Unfortunately, unforeseen issues at work did not allow him to meet with me tonight.

I wasn't lonely as Danny Page joined me to watch Italy knock Team Spain out of the tournament via their 2-0 victory in Paris.

Of course, the Italians opted to be subdued after the game so as to not ruffle the locals after the game . . .

. . . sure they did

The game was done at about 8:00 p.m., plenty of time for me to walk to the Basilica Santa Maria del Pi for my 9:00 p.m. Guitarra Española concert.

I was hungry. 

Oh no! Not this place again

Laurie collects fans, I collect toothpicks.

Nine more were added to my growing collection on this trip.

At least I was still dealing in single digits.

Ekaterina Záytseva
GREAT Concert!!!

It was late, I was tired
time to walk home

According to my iPhone, I logged another 10.97 miles strolling this great city today.

I should have gone double digits.

Reading Is FUNdamental

Mari Jungstead
does it again

She has yet to disappoint me, I just hope that the Camarillo Library has more of her books for me when I get home this Friday.

FRIDAY!!!

No comments: