Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Another Fun Day Working With the Youth of Upplands Väsby


Tuesday, 17 May, 2016:

Another day, another round of introductions between the great game of American football and youngsters in Upplands Väsby.

A bit of an easier day today as I only had to work with two P.E. classes. I was scheduled to meet the first of my two 45-minute classes at 2:30 p.m. with an ending time of 4:00 p.m. 

Spring was in the air again

I decided to get to the school early enough to track someone down who could point me in the right direction.

Väsby Centrum Floorpan

The school was near Upplands Väsby's main shopping mall, so I ducked in to see if they had anything new today that I desperately needed.

Nope.

 More signs of Spring

 The American Football
School-of-the-Day

I found a teacher who was extremely helpful in trying to track down the junior high school classes that I needed to find. We checked several places on campus but found no positive answers.

Thus we decided that I would just hang out with a football in hand on the schools small play field area until the classes found me.

I found no classes and no classes found me but I did find several kids coming back from lunch and/or walking between classes. Only one thing to do . . .

 . . . Play Catch!

Nice Grab

 Cutting Edge . . .

. . . Swedish QB Techniques

This kid actually threw the ball
really well

I contacted our Head Coach, Thomas Andersson, who informed me that I needed to go to the part of the campus for much younger students, not the junior high area.

OH JOY!!!

As it turned out, my two classes were going to be made up of eight and nine year olds. Concentration on their part and patience on mine would be paramount to a fruitful experience.

I was not sure that either side could pull it off.

Finally in the right place, I met with the substitute teacher for the two classes in question. Since he was not comfortable having me take over the class, we agreed that the assigned teacher should contact our Board of Directors to re-schedule a new visitation date.

How to fill my new found down time?

WITH FIKA OF COURSE!!!

The coffee was rich and the small cinnamon bun was,
OH, SO GOOD FOR ME!!!

From 5:45 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. we had, first, a U11 practice followed by a U13 workout.

U11 meeting

The first order of business for the U11s was improving their QB-Center snap exchanges.

Here are two examples of today's drill to improve in this area.

Smooth

A Commanding QB Voice

Looking GOOD

The next area of concern was the improvement of the U11 passing game.

It looked better in the photo above than it did . . .

. . . in this video

I took no photos tonight of the U13 practice but it was a good one! We saw a lot of improvement as the kids gave a great effort and concentrated on the coaching techniques that were being taught.

Another busy day on Wednesday with a school team practice from 7:45 a.m.-8:30 a.m., two P.E. classes to teach from 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m., an overlapping school team practice from 3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. at the school where I'll be teaching the P.E. classes and finally U13 tryouts for new players from 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.

I'll need a solid Fika Time in there somewhere to be sure.

2 comments:

David said...

I notice there is no photographic evidence of the supposedly "small" cinnamon roll.

George said...

David,
Isn't my word on all things food related enough anymore?