Monday, January 15, 2024

The Boys in the Boat


Monday, January 15, 2024

After last week's stormy days as a University of Washington alumni, I definitely needed some positive Husky strokes, pun intended, on this Martin Luther King, Jr. day of remembrance.

A GREAT book about the
fabled Husky Crew team of 1936

I had read this Daniel James Brown book when it first came out in 2014 and found it to be a fascinating tale.

Eventually, George Clooney, yes the same George Clooney who avoided me for years on my several 2018 and 2019 visits to Bellagio and Lake Como areas, bought the movie rights to the book. 

The well received film had been in
theaters for three weeks now

Not wanting to wait any longer in fear of missing it on the large silver screen, Laurie and I attended its 11:00 a.m. showing today at the Roxy Stadium 11 Theater in Camarillo.

It was a splendid two hours of fantastic entertainment that brought out a lot of deep seated pride and fond memories about our time at the UW.

Blog fan Michael D'Antuono reminded me that the film lacked a certain level of authenticity. He mentioned that " . . . every crew race and practice in the movie took place in beautiful, sunny, blue sky days. Not one cold, rainy, drizzling day in the northwest."

Michael was born about 12 years after the events in the book and movie. He forgets that rapid climate change has greatly changed Seattle's subtropical weather that was so common in the Depression Era.

Besides, the sun ALWAYS shines on the Husky Crew program!

It was a wonderful, uplifting movie that I highly recommend even if you have never even visited Seattle.

It's funny which college memories a good, emotional movie like this one can evoke on a Monday.

One strong one was the courtship of the dazzling Laurie Gardner. Lots of good memories here.

Another memory dealt with the fine dining in 1960s Seattle.

I got nostalgic for a good, old
fashioned Hefty Burger at Herfy's

What else could I want with Laurie on one arm, a Hefty burger on the other while surrounded by the gorgeous UW campus?

My faith restored, I could again say . . .

It's GREAT to be a Husky!

No comments: