Friday, July 2, 2021

Two Good Days of Strolling While Being a Tourist in My Own Town, Sort Of . . .


Wed.-Thur., June 30-July 1, 2021

The quest for physical fitness continued these past two days but with a slight twist.

Our old friend and uber-QB with the Catania Elephants, Jason Johnson, once told me that to be a true explorer one must first be "a tourist in your own town."

I opted to expand a bit on his advice and take my walks in two new areas of greater Ventura County.

First, on Wednesday, I headed to Oxnard's relatively new shopping zone, The Collection.

There was lots of art sprinkled
throughout this outdoor shopping mall

Is that rooster packing?

YES HE IS!!!

A graffiti artist, spray paint can
in hand, hard at work

Artistic fountains are always
a nice touch while shopping

It's a silver whale

The Trendi Eats website speaks
highly of this spot for breakfast

Unfortunately it was about 4:00 p.m., so I was out of luck.
 

conga drum?

Yes, I loved my stroll through
The Collection on Wednesday

As this was the last day of May, I wanted to see how I was doing since I started these daily walks on May 5th.

My goal each day is to walk at least 10,000 steps which for me equals about 4.25 miles given my height and average stride length.

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY pleased
with my progress the last two months!

The view of the Pacific Ocean
from Cemetery Park in Ventura

On Thursday, I drove up to Ventura for my walk. I go to Ventura for my constitutional about once every two weeks. Today though, I would change my route to hopefully see something new, artistic and/or offbeat.

It worked.

Beyond what?

This place looked good
but it was closed

Hopefully not for good.

Who doesn't love a good
campfire singalong?

Pensive

Wait, 1927 wasn't established
until 2014?

How is that possible?

Colorful

Even a rusty gate passes
for art in Ventura

Ventura High School greets
visitors with this interesting sculpture

It is titled "Atoms for Peace"
by Frank Eliscu

"Keep moving sir, nothing to see here . . . "

What is that sun all about?

Ah, it's about coffee

Perfect, I was due for a cappuccino anyway.

I was a tad disappointed that neither of the two ladies working were singing tunes to brighten the patrons' day.

Solidarity and a tired Native American

This got me to thinking . . .

I need to start doing something new and different to stimulate the little gray cells.

But not the guitar, too many people already can play one.

On the other hand, bass guitarists are always mysterious and have an air of danger about them.

Why the bee?

I'm not due for another two weeks

Kind of made me want to buy a stamp

Oh my, here is another great idea

I could enroll in this school that teaches traditional Irish dancing.

You know, chicks dig good dancers.

Once again though, how sexy do I really need to be?

The Pizza Chief reminded me
of my impending hunger pangs

Hmm, Jiu Jitsu could be the answer

Basically, I'm a peaceful person so I don't think that this is the way to go either.

Maybe I could find guidance here
to find a new challenge

Cool logo

First United Methodist Church

When it first opened in 1928, it was known as First Methodist Episcopal Church.

The Crimea,
now there was a war . . .

July 1st is the last day to get rid
of your Christmas tree according
to the Ventura Municipal Code

There are several of these small,
Mom and Pop markets throughout
the city of Ventura

The Ventura Center for Spiritual Living

This is the Stacy-Judd Building that dates from 1927 and has elements of Mayan architecture both inside and out.

I try to patronize independent coffee
shops like this one whenever I can

Ventura has so many of these
great, well kept homes

A vinyl shop

We attended a great wedding
reception upstairs in this
hall years ago

Cool pizza delivery car

The art never ends on this walk

For a second I thought I was
back on vacation in Maui

I have got to bring Laurie here
soon to buy a few garden items

LUNCH!

Two street tacos, one al pastor and one carne asada, made for the perfect dining experience.

Even the alleys have a flair in Ventura

Of course the Bank of Italy
would have a Cocktail Trust

America, what a country

San Buenaventura City Hall

There used to be a large Father Junípero Serra statue about 30 feet in front of where I'm standing.

It was taken down over the historical controversy surrounding Serra's alleged treatment of California's native people while he built the California mission system in the 1700s.

Interesting countenance

Probably an amazing view of
the Pacific from these two homes

Once the Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital,
it now houses several small businesses

I still need a sign of inspiration
as to something new to occupy
my days and nights

Another fine Ventura home

Then suddenly and without warning, I discovered exactly what I need to dedicate myself to for the rest of at least the Summer . . .

EUREKA!!!

Move over Rudy Vallée, there's going to be a new ukulele player in town soon!

All in all, two GREAT days of physical fitness training.

No comments: