Monday, March 2, 2020

Our First Real Day of Rain Since I Arrived 51 Days Ago


Monday, 2 March, 2020

The Coronavirus lockdown was still in effect but I just had to get out of my self-imposed bunker.

Then I opened the front door.

For the first time in the 51 days
since I arrived in Varese, we were
experiencing a real rain storm

It was going to be a wet day,
so much for my planned escape

My only sojourn was too the nearby Bar al Semaforo for the mandatory cappuccino, brioche and a look at the local newspaper.

Today's local Coronavirus news updates . . .

In Serie A calcio (soccer), rather than
playing games in stadiums with no
fans allowed inside, six games were
postponed to Wednesday, May 13th

News from our large
international airport

Flights from Bangkok, New York,
Miami and Newark are cancelled

Understandable to keep the USA a bit safer and to not bring more possible cases arriving from Asia.

Even more Asian flights were cancelled

And then there is Italy's budget airline, Easyjet . . .

Cutting one or two weekly flights
per most route should make
a HUGE difference

 Two more international American football tournaments were postponed

In Paris, the Louvre Museum is now
closed for the safety of all

So, it became a stay at home day to do the mundane.

Two loads of laundry were
successfully and efficiently washed

Sweeping the floors, reading and working out a few computer based details for the Skorpions were additional parts of my day.

I was rewarded for my work and patience when I turned on the TV to find . . .

. . . one of my all-time favorite movies
starting and IN ENGLISH!

It was still raining late in the
afternoon outside my balcony

GREAT NEWS!

The Savona Pirates published a game day poster on their FaceBook page today about our contest next Sunday.

GAME ON!

Then the Federation published
a position paper

OK, our game is still a go,
maybe . . .

In a nutshell, the 13 games in DI, DII and DIII (CIF9) that involve at least one team from the Coronavirus infected areas of  Lombardia and the Veneto will indeed be played.

Then there is that last line, siano disputate a porte chiuse.

That means that the stadium doors will remain closed during these games, no fans will be allowed to watch any of the 13 contests.

I sure hope that the players don't breath or sweat on each other during any of these games.

Plan B for transportation to Savona
if we can't find another recliner bus?

As for our practice tomorrow, we have been given, I believe, the green light to use our locker rooms at Skorpion Field.

Of course, the Health Department also said that all people using the locker rooms throughout Lombardia are to keep a minimum of a one meter buffer between themselves.

That should be fun to monitor.

Sometimes, living abroad is not as exciting as you might think.

I have to get out tomorrow, weather permitting.

3 comments:

David said...

No day can be too bad when it includes watching Casablanca, which IS my all-time favorite movie.

George said...

Agreed.

Unknown said...

The mushroom risotto sounds good! Please take care of yourself.
Becky