Sunday, March 15, 2020

Breaking Out of the Bunker


Sunday, 15 March, 2020

"Beware the Ides of March . . ."

That seemed apropos for our latest day in the Italian National Total Lockdown, aka, Defcon 37.

Of course, I found that the internet today was again a source of entertainment.

Hmmm . . .

I've been quite interested in all of the crazy panic buying in America stories, especially when it comes to toilet paper of all things.

Is it really this bad?

With that in mind, I decided to bravely leave the safety of The Bunker and head to . . .

. . . the Supermarket to buy
a few supplies

I must admit that I was somewhat apprehensive as to what I would find.

You see, Esselunga is one of the, if not the, largest supermarket chains in Italy. This particular store is the entire chain's single biggest profit making store.

Last year, the first time I visited this store was on a Saturday with Giorgio Nardi. It was jam packed and almost impossible to move through the aisles.

Giorgio would tell me later that it is always this way on Saturdays but relatively calm the rest of the week. I heeded his advice and have never gone back to this Esselunga again on a Saturday and yes, it is relatively calm on all other days of the week.

So, yesterday being the first Saturday since the start of the Total Lockdown, I imagined that things here would mimic the panic buying of America.

 I geared up to go in
and see the carnage

Wait, the produce aisle
was 100% stocked?

So was this dairy case . . .

. . . goodness gracious, LOTS
of bottled water was still on hand

Then the unimaginable happened when . . .

. . . I turned down the toilet paper
aisle which was overflowing!

ITALIA, WHAT A COUNTRY!

Our country has been battling the Coronavirus for weeks on end, especially here in the northern region of Lombardia where Milano is the nation's outbreak epicenter.

But, there seems to be no panic on the part of the people, just resolve to beat this thing together as a unified nation.

The check-out line was nonexistent

By the way, I asked the checker how bad it was yesterday on a traditionally crazy Saturday at this particular flagship Esselunga store?

Her answer was, "It's busier right now than it was yesterday."

Italy is quite the civilized culture as it turns out.

As further proof . . .

During the crisis, Esselunga will
deliver your groceries to your home
for FREE if you are 65 years of
age or older

The most at-risk group for catching the Coronavirus is people 65 years of age or older and, with the Prime Directive being STAY AT HOME, this is a wonderful way to protect the most vulnerable part of our population from infection.

Now, I just have to figure out how to order things on-line.

On the way home I also found out that Italians are also truly grateful and positive people.

 THANK YOU
DOCTORS
NURSES

EVERYTHING'S GOING TO
BE GOOD

A friend from France sent me this

It certainly applies all over the world in these difficult times for these heroes on the front lines fighting the Coronavirus.

Since churches in Italy are closed,
I saw three TV stations broadcasting
three different Masses this morning

Uh oh?

Neighboring Switzerland became the first European country to cancel, not postpone, their entire 2020 American football season.

Have the dominoes started falling . . .

I keep fielding the logical question, "Are you going to go back to California anytime soon?"

The answer is still a "NO," for several reasons.

First, for me to leave I would have to get to Milan's Malpensa Airport and sit there for a minimum of two hours among other travelers who may or may not be infected.

Who knows, I could be the one infected spreading the Coronavirus to others in this scenario. Something that I certainly do not want to do to anyone whether they are strangers, family or friends.

Then I would have to spend a minimum of eight hours on a plane to New York City with many of these same possibly infectious travelers from Europe's most infected area.

Expense is another an issue.

On Expedia today, the cost of the
CHEAPEST one-way flight from Milan
to LAX will go up from $592 to $2,815
a week from tomorrow

That's a 475% price increase in one day!

And you thought that price gouging was illegal.

Remember, that $2,815 ticket is the cheapest available fare on Monday, March 23rd and these multi-stop/layover flights can take 30+ hours in most cases.

Then there is this upon
entering a U.S. airport,
the Coronavirus Screening Process

This photo was taken at Chicago's O'Hare Airport yesterday.

These people have all arrived on flights from Europe.

People there reported a six hour wait for their luggage followed by a two to four hour wait in this packed, bottlenecked hallway that leads to the screening area.

I think that they are having some serious issues here with the One Meter Rule.

A perfect way to spread the disease that the screening is trying to stop, don't you agree?

Just another reason, it seems to me, to adhere to the Prime Directive . . .
STAY AT HOME!

While at Esselunga today, I decided
that I needed something to make
up for the lack of brioches this week

Mint chocolate chip gelato works for me!

Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Laurie said...

❤️ Stay safe ❤️