Thursday, May 9, 2019

A Trip to the Questura, the Borgias and a Night of Skorpions American Football


Thursday, 9 May, 2019

A beautiful, clear day started with a trip to the Varese Questura, the city's Police Station that also serves as the center for all things immigrant related.

I am an immigrant living and working in Italia and needed to finally pick up my Permesso di Soggiorno card that I applied for back in February.

The Permesso di Soggiorno is a Residency Permit, much like the famed Green Card that the USA Immigration Service uses for foreigners living and working in America legally.

 Varese's Questura

I supposedly had an "appointment" at 2:30 p.m. to pick up my card and we got to the Questura a bit early so I walked with Laurie to the nice park across the street to show her the gardens.

 A female and . . .

 . . . her mate perhaps

At 2:15 I headed into the Questura and asked where to go for my "appointment."

I was told to go to the back of the Questura to the main Immigration office with lots of my immigrant friends.

I got my number and began my
wait for my turn at one of the
three open windows serving us all

I drew number 99 just as they announced the next number to approach the windows, number 50.

 It was going to be a long wait

It took an hour but finally, I had my card and I was 100% legally in Italia for the rest of my six month stay.

 We celebrated my success by
heading into downtown Varese
for a stroll and some shopping

It was too hot for polenta
in my opinion

Is that an American football on this
huge mural on Piazza della Repubblica?

Speaking of American football . . .

FIDAF posted this revised score of
last Saturday's DII Group C game

Shades of the Borgias . . .

The original outcome on Saturday night was a 21-12 Modena Vipers (2-3) victory over the Bologna Braves (1-5 ).

Then the intrigue began.

As you may recall, before every game the referees get copies of each teams roster before the game. Then, one by one, each player is called out to compare him to the roster. If you name is not on the roster, the player is ineligible for the game.

Apparently, the Vipers knowingly used an illegible player and have been forced to forfeit their victory and have to pay FIDAF a 2,500 Euros fine for their flagrant actions.

Thus, Group C now stacks up as follows.

Group C Standings
1. Reggio Emilia Hogs 6-0
2. Roma Pretoriani 4-1
3. Bologna Braves 2-4
4. Modena Vipers 1-4
5. Sarzana Red Jackets 1-5

This forfeit also made for a re-ranking
of DII for the upcoming playoffs

In the evening, it was time for Skorpion football!

The U16 tackle team was hard at
work focusing on their passing attack

 Swivel Hips Tex putting a move on
in the Women's Flag team practice

The Prima Squadra about to . . .

. . . get after it!

It was just a so-so training tonight with the typical lack of banged up linemen on both sides of the ball being major contributors to our woes.

We only have two more practices until next weeks Varese Derby at the home of the #10 ranked Gorillas.

We have to have better practices at this stage of the season with the playoffs looming.

No comments: