Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ascension Thursday


SWISS HIPPIE FACT-OF-THE-DAY

In November 1938, Albert Hofmann was a chemist from Basel working at Sandoz Laboratories, now part of the pharmaceutical giant Novartis. He was researching rye fungi to find a cure for migrane headaches but accidentally discovered the mind bending drug LSD.

Herr Hofmann died in 2008 at the age of 102. I'm not sure what this means in the grand scheme of things.



As mentioned in earlier posts, today is Ascension Thursday and this religious feast commemorating Christ's ascending into Heaven is a big holiday in Switzerland. Some restaurants and recreation spots were open for business but relaxation was the order of the day for most Swiss people.

At mid-day, I left Helvetica for a random long walk and about 30 meters into it a car pulled over going down the hill into Thun. It was none other than Thun Tiger PA announcer Martin Schweizer who offered me a ride to the golf course on the far side of Thun. It sounded like a good idea as it would force me to walk home through neighborhoods that I only knew by bus.

During our drive, Martin mentioned that by reading the blog he had come to the conclusion that I may have seen more of his native land than he had.

Martin, it is time to be "A Tourist in Your Own Town!"

Dapper Golfer

Truly a nice day for about nine holes of golf, this guy was ready.

Lots of people on the range

Range balls are the same the world over

Practice bunker with the Stockhorn in view

Blasting out of the sand trap for real

He should have practiced some more as his line drive flew the green, not that I have ever done that.

Alpine Tee Box

After watching the golf action for awhile, I started my trek home by walking first through the golf course and then through some farm land. I've gotten to the point where the rich aroma of cow and/or horse manure is a good thing.

No, really.

The Niesen

Interesting tree stump

A light plane towing an even lighter glider

Now that would be interesting.

Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau again

Walking the dog

A Romantic Restaurant!

I'll have to take Laurie here.

I now entered a residential area, so I decided to see what interesting lawn art was to be found.

A plow, I think

Madonna's re-cycled bras

Memphis Red Bird Fan

An Omen

Laurie arrives two weeks from today!

Orchid Power

In Thun we call this the Sun

The Aare River was rolling as usual

A great day for Sun and a
beverage on the Mühleplatz

A Fountain of Interest
in the Rathausplatz

There is an Aviary near the Aare River bank

Anybody know the name of this equine

That's what I'm talking about!

Does Stephen King know about this bridge?

Don't bother me, I'm floating

What a great day to be in Switzerland, soon I'll have someone with whom to share this daily adventure.

YAHOO!!!

2 comments:

David said...

But as a migrane sufferer, I want to know: Does LSD help with migranes?

George said...

BEWARE: The cure may be worse than the illness.