Thursday, May 11, 2023

Mexican Food in Highland Park, Dominoes and a Stingers Practice


Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Once again, I headed down to visit my Mother in Pasadena home preceded by my now normal routine of finding a new, random spot to eat lunch in Highland Park before heading to her skilled nursing facility.

I was headed to the Via-Mar Seafood Restaurant for some of their highly praised fish tacos when . . .

. . . I stumbled across this brightly
colored building that caught my eye

The red chili pepper seemed
to be calling my name . . .

. . . when I realized that it was a Mexican
restaurant with an old, rusty sign,
I WAS SOLD!

I have a well proven theory that the grungier looking the Mexican food establishment, the better the Mexican food.

Save the fish tacos for another day, I just had to try some of Chico's offerings STAT!

It was small inside and several people
came in picking up take out orders

Neat and clean (too clean?), I found the host/waiter to be friendly and efficient.

As for the chilaquiles that I ordered, FANTASTICO!

The Food Crawl through the various Highland Park neighborhoods continues to be a GREAT one.

If you are ever in the area, this is a good place for a meal:
Chico's Authentic Mexican Food
100 N. Avenue 50
Highland Park, California

Fully sated, I arrived at my Mother's facility to play against her in another round of Dominoes, her long time passion.

We played 22 games which she won 14-8.

To further my humiliation, when counting the loser's dominoes left in their hand at the games conclusion, Mom won 239-114.

We will return to action on Thursday. I really need to pick up my game against this savvy veteran of decades of Dominoes Wars.

In the evening, it was Week #3 of the Camarillo Stingers Wednesday night only Spring practices.

Jacob warming-up

Side Shuffle

Why the track stance?

Learning an important skill,
TACKLING

Good arm wrap

Uncoil

Coach Michael says "Go that way"

Tight Head-Neck Squeeze

Intense eyes

Good Hit Position by this Stinger

Eyes looking the ball into the hands

Good catch Jacob!

Trying out for that all
important QB position

Spin It!

Another QB prospect

The Stingers are progressing slowly as the coaches thankfully continue to stress the fundamentals at each of these Spring practices.

I feel much better about this staff's approach to the game than what the kids experienced last year.

Keep your fingers crossed, please.

A big American football game in England
Varsity Bowl XVI

The Cambridge University Pythons will be on the road to take on their centuries old archrivals, the Oxford University Lancers.

If you are in the UK this Saturday, stop by to see who takes home the coveted Blues Bowl. 

The shipping of American football
equipment overseas continues

Thanks to the generous donations of Thousand Oaks H.S. Head Coach Ben McEnroe, we were able to send the Vespa Taranto American football team in the South of Italy five shoulder pads for their players in need.

Speaking of American football in Italy . . .

On Sunday, the Varese Skorpions
will be back in action

The 3-3 Skorpions will be hosting the 4-2 Ancona Dolphins in a key battle with huge playoff implications for both clubs as the regular season winds down to its final two games for both squads.

No comments: