Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Drive in the Country and a Practice


Tuesday, 18 February, 2020

After finishing up the breakdown of our Lugano scrimmage video this morning, I opted for a drive in the surrounding countryside with a purpose.

Two years ago, on our way to Lugano for our scrimmage with the Rebels, I rode with Giorgio Nardi for my first trip to Switzerland as a Skorpion. At that time, I still did not have access to my own vehicle, was new to the area, really had no clue of what roads we were taking on our way into Switzerland and we were driving at night.

On that mystery road that we took that evening, we passed a lit up ristorante next to an interesting waterfall. In the two years since that drive I had never found that same road to investigate this ristorante in more detail.

Until Sunday morning . . .

This year on our way to the scrimmage, I followed Giorgio in my own car and he led us on that same road as two years ago.

Voilà! I now knew how to find the waterfall ristorante that was actually not too far from the Villa Skorpion II.

Thus, this afternoon, I drove on that mystery road to . . .

. . . this brewery/ristorante/waterfall

An interesting looking spot for a
ristorante that was closed today

The waterfall is on the left
and the grotto is on the right

I parked by this gnarly tree

Due to the lack of any measurable
precipitation the last five weeks,
the waterfall was flowing gently today
  
The grotto looked interesting

A palm tree in the
Alpine foothills?

The water falls from there . . .

. . . to here

I decided to continue to retrace last Sunday's drive a bit longer to the lakeside city of Lavena Ponte Tresa. 

The snow capped Alps
framed in the distance

Lavena Ponte Tresa's mini-marina

A doorway to the lake

The drive was a good mental health break for me but it was time to get ready for another night of Skorpions football.

I stopped on the way to practice at the Belforte Shopping Mall for a much deserved gelato where I saw this . . .

The Peppa Pig show is everywhere

The Women's and U17 flag teams
were scrimmaging when I arrived
at Skorpion Field

QB Sofia Petrillo going deep!

U17 defenders closing in on
WR Arianna Donati

GREAT shorts!

 U15 QB Davide
showing off his arm

 We enjoyed a spirited practice
at the Senior level tonight

 Looks like a play action
pass coming up to me

Our young Offensive Line continues
to battle every practice

We now have only three more practices until our season opener at home on 29 February against the Modena Vipers as we still have a lot of work to do to be sure.

No comments: