Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Day Dedicated to the Arts


Wednesday, 19 February, 2020

As any regular reader of this blog readily knows, while living abroad I like visiting churches and museums to admire the wonderful, ancient examples of art in its various forms that Europeans have fashioned over the millennia.

Thus, I dedicated today to the arts in general and the discipline of painting in particular.

In the morning, I headed down to the Villa Skorpion II's underground cantina art workshop to ply my craft.

Being that the building that houses the Villa Skorpion II dates from 1410 A.D., the rumors that Leonardo da Vinci once painted in this very same cantina as a young man are certainly highly possible.

 My Red Period
started in the cantina

Much of the art in Italy is, rightfully so in this most Roman Catholic of countries, of a Christian religious nature.

Instead, I opted to go pagan instead.

I titled my opus . . .

. . . Thor and His Children

I'm not quite finished yet as I think that all nine of these objects need a little more work.

Maybe the Skorpions at practice tomorrow night can inspire me further on how to finish my masterpiece.

In between my artwork, the call of laundry, some light reading, house cleaning and, finally, planning how to accomplish the final things that our football team needs in order to be ready to play our season opener in just ten more days/three more practices took up a stay at home day.

Not every day living in Italy is a series of dynamic, action packed tourist activities.

But a lot truly are thank goodness . . . 

No comments: