Friday, February 14, 2020

A GREAT Read, a French Market and Our BEST Practice of the Season


Thursday, 13 February, 2020

What a BEAUTIFUL day to be living in Italy!

It all started due to a trip to the Varese Public Library earlier in the week.

Reading Is FUNdamental!

A great Nordic Noir page turner that
I simply could not put down today

Set in and around Stockholm, Sweden, this was the first Lars Kepler book for me but it won't be my last. I spent a large part of today absorbed in reading this dark crime mystery novel.

During my three EuroBall stints in Sweden, I lived in first Hässleholm with the Hurricanes in 2010 and then with the Wäsby Warriors in Upplands-Väsby in 2016 and 2017.

During the total of 12 months that I lived in this wonderful Scandinavian country, I met so many wonderful, law abiding Swedes. It amazes me, if all of the Nordic Noir writers are to be believed, that so much depravity went on around me without my ever realizing the danger that I was potentially facing.

If you are unfamiliar with the Nordic Noir genre, beside Lars Kepler, may I also recommend the following authors to you: Mari Jungstedt, Camilla Läckberg, David Lagercrantz, Stieg Larsson, Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbø and Håkan Nesser.

Spoiler Alert: You may need psychiatric help after reading some of these disturbing crime novels.

In downtown Varese today, the Annual French Market started its four day run on Piazza Monte Grappa.

Great looking French cookies,
think butter, butter and more butter

I was strong.

I must proudly state that after my first 33 days in Varese I have lost 6.4 kilos which translates into a loss of 14.2 lbs.

I have been strong a lot in the past month.

On to the French Market . . .

I love these scented soaps
from France's Provence region

They sell for €2.50 a bar but I could not pass up on the special five bars for a mere €10 deal.

 More aromatic items

Still strong . . .

. . . but seriously thinking about it

STOP IT!

Oh my . . .

These looked healthier to me

Colorful pesto cheeses

Wondrous spices

This is really too much,
I need too get to practice . . .

 Women's team QB Sofia Petrillo
chucking the rock . . .

. . . to a bevy of open receivers

Of course, they were throwing vs. air not a defense, so they were indeed all open.

U15 Stack Formation

They were all open vs. air too

OC/QB Coach Andrea Serpieri
working on QB Riccardo Crosta's
footwork fundamentals

Our Offensive Line played
GREAT tonight!

Our Offensive Huddle

Tonight was, buy far, our best practice in the month since I arrived in Varese.

That left all of us with a great feeling going into Sunday morning's annual scrimmage against the Lugano Rebels to be played this year in Switzerland.

A late photo from Wednesday's Skorpionmobile presentation . . .

Skorpion President Aristide Mangano
accepting the keys to the Skorpionmobile

We all need great days like today in our lives.

No comments: