Wednesday, March 25, 2026
Back in late December of last year while attending the Washington-UCLA football game at the Rose Bowl, we ran into fellow UW Alumni and former Huskies stellar DB, Carl Sweet.
Carl is also retired after first, a fantastic run as a football coach at Hart and El Dorado High Schools and then a well respected Administrator serving as El Dorado's Athletic Director for many years.
At our pre-game tailgate party in Pasadena's Arroyo Seco that Saturday evening four moths ago, he invited me to attend the 2026 Orange County Athletic Directors Association's Larry Aragon Retired Coaches Luncheon.
How could I say anything but a hardy, "YES!"
Today at 11:00 a.m, was that day for the Luncheon to be held in the far away city of Santa Ana.
My Waze app led me to believe that I was looking at a two hour and thirty minute drive having to battle some early morning rush hour.
Just to be on the safe side, I left Camarillo at 7:30 a.m.
Just as Waze predicted, I was at
the Luncheon's site at 10:00 a.m.
I was early but I was also prepared having brought along the book that I'm currently reading.
Thus armed, I found a nearby spot for a cup of coffee, a much needed restroom and quiet seat to read for about 45 minutes.
With Carl Sweet, who greeted me
in the doorway to the Elks Lodge
The first hour of our gathering was dedicated to rekindling old friendships and some new ones, too.
I got a chance to talk with a former Wing T Secret Society coaching friend of ours from the 1980s when he was at Huntington Beach H.S., George Pascoe.
George has been the Director of Football Operations and Offensive Line Coach at J.C. powerhouse Golden West College for decades now.
As I looked around the Elks Lodge dining area, I saw lots of, shall we say, "veteran" coaches in attendance swapping tall tales and enjoying each other's company for the first time in a while I would say.
I mentioned some new friends . . .
These were my table sharing newest
long lost buddies!
Both were retired coaches from Orange County's Villa Park H.S.
On the left is Russ Murphy who coached football and track for the Spartans. As it turns out he attended Alhambra H.S. and lived no more than a mile from our ancestral home in San Marino.
We shared stories about both growing up near Twohey's Restaurant, Home of the Little Stinker Burger," original location at the corner of Huntington Drive and Atlantic Boulevard.
On the right is Steve Sabins who coached football and basketball at Villa Park H.S.
Steve graduated from Glendale Hoover H.S. in 1966 and attended Glendale Community College just as I was transferring to Washington. When he left Glendale after two years, he was the Vaqueros all-time leading scorer in basketball. He also played two years of basketball with the University of California, Irvine Anteaters, ZOT!
A lunch shared with a former neighbor and a fellow Vaquero made memorable afternoon.
As for the luncheon itself, it was lots of fun and a great idea to share in some much needed camaraderie while we all still can.
This whole thing was Carl Sweet's idea and, in my opinion, it's a great one!
We should try to do this in Ventura County, too.
While I was driving all over SoCal, the the net was all abuzz . . .
A new mural on the side of the
Rio Mesa H.S. Gym
This panel of the sports murals is dedicated not just to the school's heritage rich Track and Field program in general but to their two outstanding alumni coaches for over 40 years, Brian FitzGerald and Rick Torres, in particular.
Well deserved.
Mary getting ready to play her role
in a school play as Delores Huerta
Huerta, now 95 years old, was a major leader of the Farmworkers Labor Movement in California starting in the late 1950s through the end of the 1970s.
Mary practicing part of her
lines at home
HUELGA!
We close this post with the American football standings in all three of Italy's Divisions . . .
DI Standings
Parma and Firenze are Italy's two traditional DI powerhouses, but don't overlook the fast rising Legnano Frogs this season who are reinforced by several former Varese Skorpions after that club's recent demise before the start of the 2026 campaign.
DII Standings
Group A is still wide open while Group B looks to be a hotly contested race between Monza and Padova.
DIII Standings
Part 1
In Group A, the Ciriè Blitz and the Piacenza Wolverines sit alone atop the table.
I've got all my chips in on the Bari Navy Seals squad winning the Group B title.
DIII Standings
Part 2
With all four Group C teams having only played one game, it is still too early to back any team at this point.
As for Group D though, it is the Formigine Honey Badgers in complete command.
DIII Standings
Part 3
In Group E, what's not to like from the Trieste Muli?
Group F is going to be a three team dog fight to the end.
Finally . . .
If you are from Sicily or even
lived their for a long time,
YOU KNOW!
Yes, we know and love Sicilian Arancine to the max!
No comments:
Post a Comment