Monday, March 16, 2026
While our merry band of Las Vegas nomads were up early and on their way to a fun, long and hot day in Anaheim at Disneyland, I opted for a solo trip into the bowels of Los Angeles for some cultural enrichment.
Of course, our illicit war in Iran
was not far from my consciousness
No problem really, Our Glorious Leader has everything under control.
Out the door at 10:00 a.m., I encountered minimal Monday morning traffic and reached my destination, Exposition Park, in about 90 minutes.
This park is the hub of fun museums
and sports venues
Obviously there would be an
A-12 Blackbird spy plane on display
Wait, what?
The USA via the CIA spies on other countries to gather intelligence, does Our Glorious Leader know about this?
The California Science Center
This building houses the Center's IMAX theater.
My goal was to see their soon closing "Mummies of the World" exhibition.
Although the Science Center itself charges no entry fee, the Mummies exhibit does and they only allow so many people into it at a time to avoid overcrowding.
Thus my happy, smiling ticket broker suggested that I enter the Science Center first for a look around, then attend the 12:30 p.m. IMAX showing of the mummies related movie and then enter the mummies exhibit at 1:30 p.m.
Done!
A really well done and informative
3-D movie that set the tone for me
But, before watching the movie, I had some time to kill.
More jets inside the Science Center . . .
. . . and some nods to man's early
attempts at breaking free from the
surly bonds of earth
Unfortunately, the main wing of the Science Center dedicated to flight was closed for renovations.
I would have liked to see what else they had to exhibit, maybe next time.
I left the building to take a stroll around Exposition Park.
The Rose Garden and the back of
the Natural History Museum
The Science Center is located in
this old building that is thoroughly
modern on the inside
Next door is the Los Angeles
Memorial Coliseum
Home of USC Trojans football, it was also the Track and Field venue for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games.
This iconic and venerable stadium will once again host the Track and Field events in the fast approaching 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games.
The colorful entryway to
the Science Center
Now we're talking!
I like these colorful
Egyptian mummy caskets
The mummies themselves, not so much.
Mini-idols that were found
buried in Egyptian tombs
An open casket, lid above and
decorated mummy below
I'm OK with decorated mummies.
More casket art
Floating heads are a concern
Blue is my favorite color
A mummy from Peru
This exhibit is touted as mummies of the world afterall.
They also had mummified human bodies from Germany as well as animals that mummified naturally in dry desert climates.
Who knew?
It was a good but not great exhibit and as I was mummied out for the day, I started the long drive home well before rush hour.
My Waze App had me taking the Hollywood Freeway that took me near the onramp that we use after games at Dodger Stadium.
Son Michael had told me of a bust in the park near that particular onramp that was of interest but I never wanted to go try and find it late at night after another Dodgers' victory.
It was a bright, sunny day so I got off the freeway and parked my car.
This was indeed the park
in question and . . .
. . . there was the bust of
José Martí
Cuban National Hero
Martí is considered a hero due to his leadership in Cuba's struggle for independence from Spain in the 1890s.
Why this bust is in Los Angeles' Echo Park is a mystery to me.
"He who has a homeland, honor it.
If you don't, let him conquer it."
"With all and for the wellbeing of all."
José Martí was killed in Cuba by Spanish forces on May 19, 1895, at the Battle of Dos Rios.
He left a great legacy both in Cuba and in other South American countries where he led the fight against Spanish colonialism.
And some Californians, too!
I already posted this result from
last weekend's games but this
Cagliari Crusaders' poster merited
a shout out
The newest Spanish DI standings
Playing only an eight game regular season, it looks like the Western Conference, as usual, belongs to the Las Rozas Black Demons.
The Eastern Conference still has three clubs in the hunt for the crown.
Since Spanish Federation does not publish slick weekly posters of their 28 team, five conference DII standings, here they are again by my reckoning.
Cataluña Conference
Barcelona Pagesos 4-0
Riudoms Rebels 3-2
Argentona Bocs 2-2
Barberà Rookies 2-2
Barcelona Uroloki 2-2
Reus Imperials 2-2
Barcelona Búfals 0-5
Levante Conference
Alicante Sharks 5-0
Valencia Giants 3-1-1
Sueca Ricers 2-1-1
Murcia Cobras 1-4
Alicante Thunder 0-5
Madrid Conference
Alcobendas Cavaliers 4-0
Alcorcón Smilodons 4-1
Tres Cantos Jabatos 2-2
Boadilla Vikings 2-3
Pinto Goldbats 1-3
Madrid Capitals 0-4
Norte Conference
Valladolid Penguins 5-0
Cantabria Bisons 3-1-1
Santurtzi Coyotes 3-2
Torrelavega Berserkers 2-3
Villamayor Mercenarios 1-4
Guadalajara Stings 0-4-1
Sur Conference
Jerez Jaguars 4-0
Mairena Blue Devils 2-2
Canarias Canes 2-2
Sevilla Linces 0-4
Five Spanish DII Conferences each with an undefeated team still atop the conference standings.
I really think that a Fall football
trip to Dublin should get on our radar
If not Dublin, Mendoza, Argentina's Tazón SudAmerica is still an option.
By the way, today was
the Feast of St. Upid
The Tazón SudAmerica 1 Champion
Costa Rica Sharks are returning
to Mendoza to defend their title!
Why wouldn't they, in 2024's Tazón SudAmericawon all three of their games against Paraguay's Black Dragons, Argentina's Condores and Chile's Nativos by a combined score of 112-6, YIKES!
Costa Rica's national team is known as the Sharks.
This announcement got me researching what is going on in the Costa Rica American Football season.
The results of one game
over the past weekend . . .
. . . and the other
Three games into the 2026 season
and the Dawgs are looking tough!
The Costa Rica Sharks are also playing
a game in October against a club
out of Tennessee called the Hornets
I think that this one will be a bit more competitive for the Sharks.
I wish we literally put our
money where our mouth is
on this critical issue
I don't know why I worry about things like this, when surely Our Glorious Leader has it in his ingenious Master Plan.
I was told by Laurie that the kids all got back from Disneyland at about 11:45 p.m. tonight. Beats me as I had been asleep for two hours by then.
Today was a GOOD day!

































No comments:
Post a Comment