Monday, April 15, 2019

House Cleaning, a Chocolate Festival and a Guest


Friday, 12 April, 2019

It was a highly anticipated day as finally the countdown to our son Michael's arrival in Varese reached . . .

. . . days today!

His plane from Los Angeles via London did not land at Milano's Malpensa Airport until 6:05 p.m., so I had some time to kill.

What better way to pass the time than by going to the first day of Varese's weekend long Chocolate Festival! 

Chocolate was EVERYWHERE!

It was even shaped into all
sorts of objects

So many options

Chocolate in sheets

Even Gluten Free chocolate

Where is the fun in that?

That doesn't look like chocolate to me?

Cell phone at a Chocolate Festival
HERESY!

 When will the madness stop?

The French and their Macarons

I had to get out of there before I completely lost my moral compass ala a Trump supporter.

I escaped after having consumed three delicious, dark chocolate covered candied orange slices.

And, oh so good for me too!

Feeling much better, I was on my way to the train station to buy Michael his greater Lombardia Transportation Pass for the week, such a deal!

I couldn't resist walking past my favorite Varese landmark on the walk back to my car . . . 

. . . the Great Bell Tower

The Bells were ringing

Near our butcher shop is this coffee bar

I was at the butcher shop to buy some sausage to make for breakfast on Saturday for Mike before our big home game with the 2-1 Desio Hammers.

This coffee bar's sign says it's a Societa, so is it a private club's bar or can anyone enter? It seems to always have a large group of older men frequenting it every time I go by on my way to the butchers.

I'll have to ask Giorgio and Santa Barbara who between them know everything about Varese.

Back at home, I got on the internet to discover two things on FaceBook.

First, a mid-1940s issue of
LIFE magazine carried an interesting
article on an American football game
played in Bari, Italy

Looks like it was a well attended contest as some G.I.s took a break from their post-WWII duties.

Second, this might be the most
important date on our busy social calendar

LOVE OUR HOGS!

Finally, it was time to head to the airport . . .

British Air's Flight 0566 from
London's Heathrow Airport was
ON TIME!

HERE'S MICHAEL!

And with his long time traveling partner Cousin Harris.

Our first stop on the way home was to the Pasticceria Marabelli for a spritz.

Marabelli's version of Easter Peeps?

After dropping off Mike's things at the Villa Skorpions II, we headed into Varese.

 Mike's first Bell Tower sighting

At the Skorpions team bar

Wild Boar Gnocchi on the left
paired with Gorgonzola Gnocchi

We shared but we did not stay long as Michael was tired from his long flight.

But not too tired to get a gelato
on the way home at Gelateria Buosi

Our walk back to our car took us by the Chocolate Festival which was still open.

 HAMMER TIME!

The Keys to the Kingdom
and random tools

And all made out of chocolate!

AMAZING!

It felt good to have a house guest to be sure.

No comments: