Friday, May 11, 2018

A Quiet Day Preparing for the Sardinia Invasion


Friday, 11 May, 2018

Today was largely a packing and preparation day for our two pronged trip on Saturday morning to Sardinia.

Part One of our excursion
is, of course, the Skorpions (4-2) game
against the Cagliari Crusaders (1-5)


We will kickoff at 8:00 p.m. and expect to be severely tested by the Crusaders in their final home game of the 2018 campaign.

The other part of our trip is a much needed mini-vacation after the game. While the Skorpions will fly home to Varese on Sunday morning, Laurie and I will stay behind to enjoy a few days of sunshine and Sardinian beach life.

We will fly home in time for Tuesday's five and a half hours of U19 tackle, U17 Flag, U15 Flag, U13 Flag and Senior team practices.

Laurie boldly declared near mezzogiorno that she wanted pizza for lunch, who was I to deny her anything?

I checked the Yelp app and found an interesting sounding, nearby pizzeria that we had never visited before.

GAME ON!

Ristorante Pizzeria Elisir
Via Cesare Battisti, 17
21043 Castiglione Olona, Italy

It was located only a few minutes from the Villa Skorpion and was clean, open and modern looking.

They billed themselves as a "pizza biologica" whatever that means.

The wine and the beer
were good values

 My Diavola pizza was AMAZING!

Laurie was ecstatic too!

We both agreed that this is now one of our two favorite pizza spots in the greater Varese area. 

Our other great Varese area pizza is Ristorante Pizzeria Il Canneto, Via delle Favie, 9, in Bodio Lomnago.

I have not mentioned that at Tuesday night's practice, I wore shorts for the first time with disastrous effects.

I was 100% unaware that Skorpion Field has a huge mosquito problem at this time of the year. 

I'm 100% aware of it now
with about 25 bites on my legs

Laurie wanted me to check in at the local pharmacy to see if there was anything that they could give me, although I was in no pain or discomfort.

The fact that the pharmacy was near one of my favorite gelaterias had almost zero effect on my decision to follow Laurie's request.

Once at the pharmacy, I showed the young lady my wounds and she quickly called out to her senior co-worker in one of those Italian "Guido, you've got to see this so you can tell your grandchildren about it someday." kind of voices.

It turns out that he had already seen wounds like mine in his years of service to the community and was nonplussed as I'm sure that he has a lot worse tales to tell his nipoti someday.

Instead he gave me a couple of things to deal with the mosquito bites and then we talked about the Beatles.

You had to be there.

SARDINIA . . .
HERE WE COME!

Go Skorpions GO!

No comments: