Saturday, February 9, 2019

Scrimmage #2 of the 2019 Season vs. the Lugano Rebels


Saturday, 9 February, 2019

The morning was dedicated to doing a few of my normal, last minute game/scrimmage day preparations plus a few of my daily rituals as well.

One of those daily rituals is going to the nearby Bar Semaforo for my morning cappuccino, brioche and the always pink newspaper, La Gazetta dello Sport.

Ronaldo looked diabolical today

 "Montalbano sono"

There was an ad in the paper about an interview with Luca Zingaretti who plays my favorite Sicilian detective on TV, Inspector Montalbano.

After my Bar Semaforo outing, I returned home to check the internet one more time to find . . .

. . . that the 1-1 Murcia Cobras
had a home game today

I had a wonderful time coaching the Cobras in 2015.

In the evening, I found out that the Cobras rolled to their second win today by a final tally of 41-0.

Our Running Back Coach, Christian "Bumba" Bianchi, was giving me a ride to the 3:00 p.m. scrimmage so as I waited for him outside of the Villa Skorpion II, I took another look at . . .

. . . the Varese Aqueduct

I am going to have to investigate this nearby site much more deeply this week.

It was now time for the day's main event, our scrimmage at Skorpion Field against the . . .

They were the Swiss DIII
Finalists last year

The first question that needed to be answered was about the condition of the field.

As you may recall, we rented time this week for our two practices on a nearby synthetic turf field.

We knew that as of last Thursday, our field was still full of treacherous ice. We had enjoyed, including today, three straight days of sunny, 50+°F weather that hopefully had a beneficial effect on Skorpion Field in time for the Rebels scrimmage.

Guess what?

Much, but not all, of the ice was gone.

Welcome to Lago Varese

California kids sometimes forget that when snow and ice melt, they turn into water.

During the recently completed 2018 NFL season the game scheduled to be played between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Los Angeles Rams in Mexico City was moved at the last minute back to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The reason given for the change of venue was that the field in Mexico City was in poor playing condition.

No such namby-pamby decision
today by the Rebels and Skorpions!

What we had on the field was various combinations of snow, ice, slush, mud and standing water. Each condition was at least an inch deep if not more.

The Skorpions offense trying to slog
our way to a first down

We're moving the rock

GREAT pad under pad block
by #74 Simone "Ciccio" Magnarelli
on the Rebels HUGE defensive tackle

Our Defense had another
good outing today

Option Pitch

There was good competition again today, just as there was at last Sunday's Verona Mastini scrimmage.

We were not perfect today but we are getting better, I'm encouraged by our effort, resiliency and willingness to be coached.

Our QB Coach Omar Passera
even got to kiss the lovely Valentina
after the scrimmage

When I got home after the scrimmage, I made dinner, started a couple of loads of laundry and watched some always entertaining soccer/calcio news on Italian TV.

What is this sportscaster wearing?

You had to be . . . NO, I was there and I still don't know what I was seeing.

I LOVE this country!

Go Skorpions GO!

No comments: