Sunday, February 17, 2019

An Overnight Road Trip to Venezia for the Start of Carnevale


Sunday, 17 February, 2019

I have long wanted to take a trip to Venice during their famous pre-Lenten Carnevale and since the timing was right, today was that day.

The Carnevale lasts for about two weeks in this gorgeous, unique city on a lagoon and this was the opening weekend for the annual festivities.

It was also one of the last weekends for some time to come that our Skorpions do not have a scrimmage or a game to play, so I decided, at the last second, to take an overnight road trip.

I made a one night hotel reservation in the heart of Venice's San Marcos district late Saturday night and on Sunday morning I was off.

Off bright and early that is.

My first issue was that on Sundays, the first C line bus of the day does not run until 7:30 a.m.

Due to the excitement, I was awake way too early so I still showered and dressed and walked to the first open bar that I could find for my usual cappuccino and a fantastic honey infused brioche to wait for the first leg of the day's transportation.

The first C line bus of the day
picked me up right on time here

The Varese Nord train station was my next stop to catch the 8:16 a.m. express train into Milano's Cadorna station for a rapid 52 minutes run. 

The Varese train station sits 375.90 meters
or 1,233 feet above sea level

Due to the lack of people at the train station at this hour on a Sunday, it was the first time that I had ever spotted this sign that is usually covered up by commuters sitting on a bench in front of it.

Once safely in Milan, I needed to catch another ride, this time on the Metro's #2 Green Line for the five exit jaunt to the Milano Centrale train station.

I needed to then buy a ticket to board one of TrenItalia's high speed Frecciarossa trains for the two hour and 25 minute ride to Venice's Santa Lucia train station.

I was able to board this 9:45 a.m.
Freccisrossa train bound for Venezia

It left only 15 minutes after I arrived at Milano Centrale and, despite my tight schedule, I actually remembered to validate my ticket before boarding!

The conductor, once we were moving, gave me the Paul Sabolic Rider-of-the-Month Award for having been calm enough to have performed this all important task.

Last year on a trip to Bergamo, I forgot to validate my ticket which led to all sorts of on board issues with the train conductor that fateful day.

At about 12:10 p.m. we arrived in Venezia

Lots of bridges in Venezia

There are over 400 bridges of varying sizes in Venice but only a few span the Grand Canal like this one by the Vaporetto stop near the Santa Lucia train station.

The Vaporettos are Venice's water buses that transport locals and tourists alike up and down the Grand Canal.

After bus, train, metro, train and vaporetto rides, I would finally be at my hotel only about five and a half hours after leaving the Villa Skorpion II!

Gondolas and churches abound
on the Grand Canal . . .

. . . as do several . . .

. . . interesting . . .

. . . buildings . . .

. . . like this one

The iconic Rialto Bridge up close

Gondola station near
the Rialto Bridge

The Rialto Bridge from afar

Just like in Lombardia,
yellow is THE in color this season

A view back at the
Ponte dell'Accademia

The Piazza San Marco's Campanile

There had been a large Carnevale-themed boat parade down the Grand Canal in the morning while I was aboard the Frecciarossa train. I was hoping that I might still find some costumed revelers on the Piazza San Marcos.

They they were right by the
Palazzo Ducale, a.k.a., the Doge's Palace

A costumed family on the Piazza

The famed Piazza
San Marcos Campanile

A temptress near the
Basilica di San Marco

An old person also by the
Basilica di San Marco

Looking GOOD!

Watch out for these two!

The enchanting façade of the
Basilica di San Marco

Every great piazza has to have a large,
ornate astronomical clock

This black magic woman . . .

. . . may have cast a spell on me!

Rubbing elbows with the local aristocracy

In the running for today's
Most Photogenic Couple Award

Giorgio and Santa Barbara's
family business in Venezia?

A tall woman in a billowing
red dress

Hubba-hubba!

I really need to find my hotel and get rid of my backpack.

That's not it . . .

. . . there it is on a nice, quiet alleyway
in a great location only a four
minutes walk from Piazza San Marcos

The Hotel Flora
Calle Bergamaschi 2283A
San Marco district
Venezia, Italia
Telephone +39 041 520 5844

Even career Gondoliers are not
immune from the dangers of
cell phone use while paddling

Just a random church of no
apparent consequence

This way to Venice's famed
La Fenice Opera House

A near head-on gondola catastrophe
on a small canal

Look at the top of this La Fenice
Opera House poster of events

In about 45 minutes the La Fenice will be have a matinee performance of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera Il Re Pastore, in English, The Shepherd King.

I wonder if I can still buy a ticket?

A gondola passing beneath me
while I stood on a bridge

La Fenice Opera House

I was able to buy a ticket to the Mozart opera!

But I still had some time to kill
before they opened the doors

Window shopping was just the thing to do.

I really liked this Carnevale mask

This shop had some really
guady masks

Laurie loves cherries . . .

. . . and hearts

Gondola traffic jam on Venice's
answer to the 405 at rush hour

It was time to enter the venerable
Opera House opened in 1792 A.D. 

Nice curtain

The high class box seats were
too rich for my blood

A view of the theatre while the
orchestra warms up

HUGE chandelier!

Ornate ceiling

Who sits in that large
Royal Box today?

During the intermission

I was a bit confused at first as the lead male role of the Shepherd King himself, is always played by a female soprano.

And she was not a Fat Lady, as a matter of fact, all three of the women singing in today's opera were extremely fit.

How would we ever know when the opera was over?

Near my seat as Act II
was about to start

Everyone taking their well deserved bows

I felt way more cultured as I left La Fenice.

But I felt much more hungry than sophisticated, a problem was that many of the great sounding Venice restaurants found in my Italy for the Gourmet Traveler book were closed on Sundays.

Time to roam . . .

No idea who this is but
he looks pensive to me

The Grand Canal at dusk as seen
from atop the Ponte dell'Accademia

I opted to cross over the Grand Canal into a somewhat less touristy area of Venice known as the Dorsoduro.

Less touristy but Carnevale masks . . .

. . . we're still plentiful

EUREKA!
I found a nice little spot for dinner
on a side street in the Dorsoduro district

L'Osteria San Barnaba
Calle Lunga San Barnaba
Dorsoduro, Venice
Telephone +39 041 528 5153

Spaghetti al Nero, grilled veggies
bread, red wine, tiramisu and
an after dinner cafe

It was a fitting way to end a good day in Venice!

More Carnevale masks on the
walk back to my hotel
included a Vaporetto ride too . . .

. . . this stop that looked back
up the Grand Canal

Basilica di San Marco at night

I did a FaceTime chat with
Laurie and my mother from this spot

Left over portable elevated walking
paths used during Venice's Acqua Alta
flooding periods

Dolce and Gabbana store
near Piazza San Marco

The leather backpack sells for 2,450 Euros while the sneakers are a bargain at only 635 Euros.

They were closed but I should be able to drop in before leaving on Monday.

I had a good workout today . . .

. . . and a pretty solid week
of Physical Fitness I would say

Agreed?

I am looking forward to another day in Venice on Monday before heading back to work in Varese on Tuesday.

No comments: