Friday, February 15, 2019

A Slow Day After a Long Road Trip


Thursday, 14 February, 2019

First things first . . .

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

I hope that you all enjoyed this special day with your significant other.

As for me, my nightly FaceTime phone call to Laurie would have to do, which it actually did.

As has become my custom as I get a little older, after an action packed road trip like yesterday's to Cremona, I now need a bit of a recovery day to ensue.

Thus, I hung around the Villa Skorpion II for much of the day reading and watching a DVD that I borrowed from the Varese Public Library titled Nebraska.

I thought that it was a documentary on the Cornhuskers' American football Glory Days under the leadership of coaches Bob Devaney and Tom Osborn.

I was mistaken.

It was an interesting, dark film starring Bruce Dern with not a Cornhusker highlight in the entire movie.

I needed to restock my pantry so . . .

. . . I walked down to the Tonino
Butcher Shop for some needed meat
and wine sundries

It looks like Tonino's will do a home delivery via this bike at times if needed.

I needed to return the Nebraska DVD and check out another one or two, so I headed to . . .

The Palazzo Estense
in Varese

It now houses the offices of several local government departments including the Tourist Information Office and the all-important Public Library.

 Lions are big in architectural
planning throughout Italy

Since it was Valentines Day, our Skorpions Board decided to reschedule tonight's Prima Squadra practice to Friday night as there was real concern about attendance today in the face of date night pressures from forces far beyond the power and lure of American football.

We still had a U16 tackle, U15 flag and U13 flag team practices to conduct simultaneously from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

A poster in the coaches office from
a long ago incarnation of the then
known as the Bosco Alfa Romeo Skorpions

I think this poster is from the 1991 Italian DI season.

With the deep pockets of the Alfa Romeo Company backing the Skorpions and an apparent pipeline to St. John Bosco H.S. players, it makes perfect sense that the Skorpions were competing at Italy's highest level in those days.

U13 and U15 flag teams warming-up

Working on improving their footwork
daily is of the utmost importance

U16 tackle team getting loose

The U16 tackle team doing
a much crisper job on their
footwork drills

I spent most of my evening first supervising the U16 team's squat workout and then working with our Center's snaps for QB under Center, QB in the Shotgun and Punt/Field Goal situations.

It was a BEAUTIFUL night for American football!

No comments: