Saturday, February 16, 2019

An Afro-Centric Museum in Varese and Flag Team Practices


Saturday, 16 February, 2019

Last night I got a ride to practice from Nikko "Maleducato" Moruzzi, our starting Right Offensive Tackle.

On the way to the field, Nikko asked if I had yet visited the Villa Toeplitz which is just a brisk walk from the Villa Skorpion II.

I told him that I had visited the villa's grounds before but that the villa itself was closed on the week day that I was there.

He said that it was probably open on weekends only this time of year and I said that I would try to go there this morning.

So I did.

There is the Villa Toeplitz mansion on the
immaculate grounds of the property

Oh boy, the Founder of Opus Dei,
San Josemaría Escriva, once visited
the Villa Toeplitz in 1968

 Large statuary is a MUST on
a villa of this size

As it turned out, the mansion of the Villa Toeplitz was still closed to visitors today but the Museo Castiglioni on the villa's grounds was indeed open.

This museum is all about the African continent which seems a rather strange topic to be found here in the far northern area of Varese.

 Interesting animal art

A large elephant

 Now THAT'S a nose ring!

I just liked it

 Strike up the Band!

No, thank you!
I'll take that nose ring instead

 Skorpion Power
in Africa AND Varese

A Masai arsenal straight out of the
old Ramar of the Jungle TV series

 This Spring will make the villa's
gardens SPECTACULAR!

In the late afternoon, the Skorpions were holding U17, U15 and U13 flag team practices starting at 3:00 p.m.

I joined the Nardi family for the ride to Skorpion Field early enough to lend Giorgio a hand with the rapidly improving field.

 Cool ivy on a tree behind
one of our end zones

 The Hardest Working Skorpion
is beyond a doubt . . .

. . . Giorgio Nardi!

I was happy to ease the burden of lining the fields for Giorgio just a little bit.

Giorgio has three passions from what I can tell, his family, cooking on the weekends and the Skorpions 24/7.

U13s warming up

Dynamic U13 RB Emma Petrillo
working the Agility Ladder

 The U15s playing catch with tennis balls
to improve their hand-eye coordination

U17s working on defensive alignments

U13 Superstar Alessandro

Always a crowd pleaser . . .

Raffa Nardi working a passing drill
with some of the newest Skorpions

These little ones are all about six years old and had a lot of fun working with the U13s today.

As for our next adventure . . .

I have been interested in going to Venice for the Carnival for a long time. According to an article on the internet, " . . . If you can only stay in Venice for one day during Carnival, it's probably best to make it this day!"

What day were they talking about you ask?

Why Sunday, February 17, 2019, i.e., tomorrow!

ROAD TRIP!

I may not be on-line again until Tuesday night, I hope Paul Sabolic and Mike D'Antuono will survive.

No comments: