Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The First Day of the 2019 Varese Skorpions Practices for Me


Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Most of the daylight hours today were taken up by laundering some clothes, reading and preparing our plan for tonight's Senior team practice, my first with the 2019 Skorpions squad.

In the late afternoon I opted to go for an exploratory walk in the neighborhood surrounding the Villa Skorpion II.

 An OLD wall of the building next
to the Villa Skorpion II complex

 My local coffee bar complete with . . .

 . . . a cast of local characters

 Who doesn't love a beautiful
wall sundial

 I did not know that Varese has
its own brand of coffee

 Marabelli is the OUTSTANDING
local bakery

 Chiesa di San Ambrogio
built in the 19th-century

Extremely new for a Catholic Church in Italy, the doors were closed so I will need to further explore this structure sometime in the near future.

San Ambrogio
Patron Saint of Flagellation?

A monument to the area's
sons who fell in wartime

WWI I think

 A small but well stocked
Mamma e Papà Market

This will be a good alternative to a trip to the ever busy Esselunga Supermercato.

I have been told that this is
an excellent butcher shop

I'll try it in a few days when I'm out of the meats I bought at the street markets in Varese over the weekend.

Now it was time to get dressed for practice . . .

As we practice from 8:00 p.m. to
10:00 p.m., I needed to dress warmly

 U17 Flag practice was in process
when I arrived at Skorpion Field
with a red moon rising

 U17 Flag scrimmage

 Senior Team Warm Up

 Senior Team Scrimmage

Note the Newbury Park H.S. decal
on the back plate

Our new LB, last Stoppa, first name as yet unknown to me, performed well tonight. He will help upgrade our defense from what I saw this evening.

He is wearing one of the shoulder pads that Newbury Park H.S. Head Football Coach Jason Klein donated to the club a few weeks ago.

After Laurie and I boxed and shipped them off to the Skorpions, they quickly cleared Swiss customs and arrived at Skorpion Field tonight.

We sent the equipment to a team contact who lives in Switzerland about 30 minutes from Varese as the Swiss postal system tends to be a bit more organized than their Italian counterparts.

 Stoppa may be a good LB but
his choice of an NFL team
to root for in the Super Bowl
is a tad weak

As for our practice, we had 39 players out of our current 42 man roster in attendance which by EuroBall standards is AMAZING!

The effort tonight was outstanding so, needless to say, I was a happy coach tonight. 

As it turned out, it was just
a little colder tonight than advertised

Reading Is FUNdamental

An interesting read that
speaks to the strength of
the human spirit

2 comments:

David said...

The Swiss are more organized than their Italian counterparts? Whoever would have guessed?

George said...

David,

I didn't believe it either at first.