Monday, January 28, 2019

Exploring the Neighborhood


Monday, January 28, 2019

The morning was reserved for equal doses of laziness and reading, both seemed like good ideas at the time.

In the afternoon, I got busy.

I hitched a ride with Santa Barbara
to the Esselunga for the purchase
of much needed supplies

This special Esselunga edition of Monopoly reminded me of the Monopoly game that Laurie and I recently played against our Robber Baron grandson Jacob.

It brought on a great smile in my heart I must say.

Now if only Esselunga came out with a Jurassic Park edition of Uno . . .

After returning to the Villa Skorpion II, I opted to go for an exploratory walk in the neighborhood.

I was told that this old sign just
around the corner from the Villa
Skorpion II has WWII Fascist roots

This reminded me that Giorgio recently told me the story of an old family friend whose father recently died. Unbeknownst to the friend's family their deceased loved one had been an Italian spying on Fascists during WWII for the British.

Apparently, the British Intelligence Service had decided long ago to not release the names of their WWII spies in Italy until the last one died. They feared that if they did not do this that they would put their former agents lives at stake as there was still strong pro-Mussolini factions alive and well in Italy who might seek revenge.

As it turns out, Giorgio's friend's father was the final spy to pass away and only then did anyone in his family know of his dangerous, heroic doings during the war years.

I'm sure that they were just one of several Italian families who were surprised by the news of their family members' previously unknown boldness in the face of brutal danger.

Fascinating.

I continued my explorations . . .

The new Chiesa Sant'Ambrogio

I say new because it was only built in the 19th-century.

When I walked past it last week it was closed, today it was open so I entered.

 I liked this side chapel

 The ceiling was of interest as well

 The old Chiesa Sant'Ambrogio first
opened its doors in the late 11th-century

It is located only about 200 meters south of the new Chiesa Sant'Ambrosio.

I had not seen it before as it is hidden on a small side street but Santa Barbara pointed it out to me as we returning from our shopping at Esselunga.

Of course, I entered this old church too.

 How old is this mural?

 The old Chiesa is quite small

 It has an interesting ceiling

Unfortunately, some of the frescoes on the left have fallen off over the centuries.

I liked this drawing behind the altar

It was time to hit the road again . . .

The Villa Toeplitz sounded interesting

The Villa was originally built in 1901 by members of the German Frey family.

A Polish banker by the name of Giuseppe Toeplitz bought the property in 1918 and immediately started to renovate, enlarge and transform the Villa and the surrounding land into a wondrous site.

I think he did a good job.

 The long walk to the entrance
of the Villa Toeplitz

Just before reaching the Villa's
gate one find's this interesting building

 At last, the Villa Toeplitz's entry gate

WATCH YOUR STEP!

Yesterday's snowfall was now today's icy pathway.

The Villa looms ahead
with an observatory to boot!

 The view from the Villa Toeplitz

The Villa's gardens will be a great
place to sit and read this Spring

The Villa's main building and the Castiglioni Museum on the Villa's grounds were both closed today which is typical of museum's throughout Italy on Mondays.

The evening was spent planning Tuesday night's practice and organizing our Kicking Game teams in preparation of this coming Sunday's scrimmage in Verona against the Mastini.

Go Skorpions GO!

No comments: