Saturday, June 19, 2021

The Final, Torturous Day of the Road Trip - North to Seattle

 

Friday, June 18, 2021

After a good night of rest, I needed to get my juices flowing again, so I was off on a two mile walk through the downtown streets of Eugene.

As always, there were things of interest to view in this college town.

A different style of advertising
signage caught my eye

Eugene is indeed
"Tracktown, USA"

As mentioned yesterday, the USA Olympic Track and Field Trials were to start today at the University of Oregon's recently modernized Hayward Field facility.

The top three finishers in each event this weekend will earn a spot on the American Olympic Track Team that will compete later this Summer in the Tokyo Olympics.

Tranquility in the downtown area

Grateful Dead Taqueria?

I discovered the Dutch Brothers
Cocomo coffee concoction today

My life will never be the same . . .

Good thing that I didn't
discover this winery last night

Hmmm . . .

EXACTLY!

I gassed up before leaving Eugene for what was billed as a mere four hour drive, boy was my app wrong for once!

A comment going into Day Three of my drive is needed. Taking a break at about the two hour mark to stretch my back, legs and hips has been perfect.

Unfortunately, my bladder can only go a maximum of one hour and 55 minutes before reaching its bursting point.

It makes for some potentially perilous senior moments but what the heck, I like living on the edge.

The traffic from Salem, Oregon to Seattle was horrendous! Instead of the anticipated four hours, it took me closer to nine hours!

I made an unscheduled stop here

Why you ask?

Because my friend Mark Johnson
is a revered alumni of the school

I'll be staying with Mark and his wife Susie in Seattle this weekend.

Nice stadium at the high school

Tribute to the legendary Sid Otton
Tumwater H.S. Head Football Coach
1974-2016

Solid seating capacity at
Tumwater's District Stadium

Good sight lines too

Enough of these side trips, it was on to Seattle!

The view from Mark and Susie's
backyard today was
MAGNIFICENT!

I was inspired to walk some more around our old stomping grounds.

Guarding the Montlake
Draw Bridge

My first glimpse of the main campus
from th Botton of Rainier Vista

At the other end of the aptly named
Rainier Vista with beautiful
Mount Rainier in the distance

The University of Washington's
Henry Suzzalo Library

Construction on the library began in 1926 and was officially finished in 1963. In 2000, this venerable campus sight went through a complete renovation.

I just love its look!

Diversity is a big issue at the UW as
it is everywhere in the USA these days

Heading back to the Johnson home,
the Montlake Draw Bridge was
up to allow a tall masted boat to pass

Despite the incredibly slow traffic
today, I still got in a good day
of walking for the badly needed
renewal of my health

GOOD TIMES!!!

No comments: