Thursday, June 24, 2021

Ashland, Mt. Shasta and a San José Giants Game


 Wednesday, June 24, 2021

It was another good day for a drive as our journey starts to wind down.

As is the norm, I started the morning with a nice walk through a still asleep city, this time in Ashland, Oregon.

Yelp rates this as the BEST Breakfast
spot in the city and I was hungry

The Morning Glory is located only about 30 yards from my motel room's door and their signature breakfast dish, Lemon Ricotta Stuffed French Toast, sounded wonderful.

The sign on their door clearly stated,
CLOSED ON WEDNEDAYS

Damn.

The walked continued despite my now foul mood.

Interesting pathway
at Triangle Park

These flowers improve my mood

Shrew's House Bed and Breakfast

As you may recall, Ashland hosts a Summer Shakespeare Festival. Thus many of Ashland's businesses have names relating to The Bard and/or his works.

Still, I don't think that I would want to book a stay at any establishment named for his shrew character.  

Ashland is yet another city that
loves to display art in public spaces

Another example of Ashland's
dedication to the arts

Still hungry but they didn't
open for another two hours

This spot was closed as well
until 9:00 a.m.

The Ashland Springs Hotel

It has served visitors to this Rogue River Valley city since 1925.

The Ashland Springs Hotel can be
found on this esteemed list

Artsy city indeed!

The hub of the Bard's festival

The main venue for the
Shakespeare plays

What does that sign say on the lower left of this photo?

Well, that makes perfect sense
in this city

My walk continued into this
idyllic urban oasis

The park butts into a small,
wooded mountain to add to
its beauty and serenity
 
Three ducks returning from
Lithia Park as I entered

A bridge over Ashland Creek

A quiet pond in the park

Elevated levels of Barium?

Old sign of interest

No longer a bookseller's shop, this building now is a space that now specializes in women's clothing.

It wound up being a good three mile walk that got my travel juices flowing although I was still disappointed in not having the Lemon Ricotta Stuffed French Toast for breakfast.

A football field in need
of serious tending

I found it near Southern Oregon University's football stadium as I left Ashland.

I was still hungry but I opted to drive for an hour or so before dining.

The city of Mt. Shasta
had a Black Bear Diner

Their outrageously large pancakes filled me up quickly.

Mt. Shasta as seen from the
Black Bear Diner's parking lot

As is my want, I opted to check out the local football field in this small mountain town while visiting.

Home of the Bears

Most of the athletic facilities that I've visited on this trip have been closed to visitors as an aftermath of the pandemic.

DAMN!

Mt. Shasta H.S.'s tight security on their game field was a deterrent but I was determined to somehow get on this field.

It was tough but I finally
figured out a way into the stadium

The field needs a little watering but the view of Mt. Shasta from the home side is spectacular.

Fully sated and curiosity satisfied, now it was on to today's goal city, San José, California.

I was staying in the
Four Points by Sheraton centrally
located in downtown San José

The Four Points has BOCCE COURTS!

After all that time sitting in my car, I opted for a quick walk around my hotel's surroundings to loosen up my stiff joints.

I MUST give this spot a try
tomorrow morning

Not good

San José's Museum of art

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph

Lots of murals in San José

Goodness Gracious!

Located just around the corner from my hotel, Original Joe's has been a San José landmark since it opened in 1956. It serves marvelous Italian comfort food.

Laurie and I first discovered it on a trip to San José back in the early 1970s thanks to a book on great California dining establishments. Original Joe's has never disappointed me.

Tonight's "Joe's Famous Mostacioli" dish was amazing!

Now, what to do for the rest of the evening?

Why another minor league
baseball game of course!

Excite Park
Home of the California League's
San José Giants

Hall of Famer George Brett played
here when the club was known as the Bees

So did this long time San Francisco
Giants ace pitcher

You can't quite see the dozen pennants
earned by San José clubs over
the many years

Th San Francisco Giants marvelous
catcher played a couple of seasons
in this ballpark

The Giants name is relatively new
in San José baseball lore

I loved the makeshift standings
board inside the park

Tallulah was spot on this time

A better view of San Jose's longtime
success in the California League

No, not the California Penal League.

"Gigante"
San José Giants mascot

As for the game itself, I stumbled into what promised to be a good one.

The California League is designated as a Low A minor league circuit.

The game that I attended in Eugene, Oregon last week was was in the High A Northwest League.

Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
Los Angeles Dodgers affilate
23 wins -19 losses
First Place in the California League South Division 
at
San José Giants
San Francisco Giants affiliate
29 wins - 14 losses
First Place in the California League North Division

I scored another prime seat

The Quakes took the early lead but I promised myself to stay until the end of the game this time.

As you may recall, I left the Eugene game last week with the visiting Hillsboro Hops squad leading 5-1 and missed the end of the Emeralds stirring come from behind 10-9 victory.

Late in the game the Giants
stormed back too

The San José squad had the lead at 9-6 but the Quakes had the bases loaded with two outs in the ninth inning and a 3-2 count on the Quakes' batter . . .

STRIKE THREE!

Another full day on the road, but it will be good to get back to Camarillo tomorrow.

No comments: