Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Starting Back to Camarillo in Stages

 

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

In a desperate attempt to avoid the incredible traffic that I had to endure from Salem, Oregon to Seattle last Friday, I opted to blast off for Camarillo at a blurry eyed 5:15 a.m.!

It worked beautifully as I covered that same stretch with only a slight ten minute delay as I entered Portland, otherwise it was all smooth sailing to my goal city of Ashland, Oregon.

Ashland is about 470 miles from Seattle and sits approximately 15 miles from the Oregon-California border.

In order to start my drive at the crack of dawn, I had to forego my morning walk.

Not to worry, I planned a long stop in Eugene, Oregon to make up for it. 

This Eugene park has all sorts
of bike, walking and jogging paths

It also has lots of water

I walked along this famous path,
Pre's Trail

It is named for Steve Prefontaine, the amazing American distance runner who attended both Marshfield H.S. in nearby Coos Bay and the University of Oregon.

At one point, Prefontaine held the American record for every distance between 2,000 and 10,000 meters.

Tragically, he died in a car accident in Eugene at the tender age of 24.

Where I joined Pre's Trail

The trail went pass streams . . .

. . . ducks . . .

. . . kayakers . . .

. . . lush forest land . . .

. . . and funky artwork

It also skirts Autzen Stadium,
home of Oregon Ducks football

I couldn't help myself, I had to take a look at this Nike/Phil Knight bankrolled facility.

The Ducks must be tough if they
practice tackling in the parking lot!

Had to check out this clandestine
workout for ex-Ducks getting ready
for their NFL camps

Thankfully, it was closed

LOTS of Power Racks
in the Ducks' Weight Room

As if the first row on the left
wasn't enough, there were
more Power Racks to the right

Gaudy

Tree sculpture in Alton Baker Park

Canadian geese mixing with ducks
in this pond near my car

It was time to move on but I knew that I'd have to walk some more in Ashland to get to my daily minimum of 10,000 steps.

Ashland turned out to be a great stopping point as thunder storms and heavy rain started to fall just as I pulled into my motel.

Ashland has a university that
plays football at the N.A.I.A. level

Of course, I had to check out their facilities.

Southern Oregon University Raiders

Nice setting for the Raiders' stadium

I'm not quite sure why the
Raiders' logo is this stylized
red tailed hawk

Next up, and only a few blocks away from the Southern Oregon campus, you'll find Ashland H.S., the home of University of Washington QB great, Sonny Sixkiller.

Ashland H.S. Grizzlies Stadium

I headed downtown to get both more exercise and to check out this quaint city.

I believe that this is a tribute
to the actors who perform in
Ashland's famed Shakespeare Festival

The Festival happens every non-pandemic Summer.
 
I have no idea who this is or
what he represents but he is
standing guard in Ashland's main square

Ashland Creek was tranquil

What a marvelous idea
to end a long day of driving

The road trip continues again tomorrow . . .

No comments: