Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Finally, I Got Off My Rear End and Exercised!

 

Monday-Tuesday, October 5-6, 2020

I was WAY overdue to start working out again as the Coronavirus funk had kept me from walking for far too long.

Before we take a deeper look at today's trek, let's look at a couple of recent American football notes.

YOUR Varese Skorpions Junior
teams kickoff the 2020 season Saturday

Mike Moon, the Head Coach of defending
California State Champion Pacifica H.S.,
reminded us of the importance
of being a good student

On Tuesday, it was on to the beach in nearby Ventura for some physical and mental fitness!

I think that I have all of these,
especially the Brain Fog

There are several wonderful
Victorian houses in Ventura

An empty beach on
a warm October day

My beach walks always include a
side trip to the end of this pier

Ventura's version of
The Old Man and the Sea

HUGE bugs in Ventura
this time of the Year

Gnarly tree trunk

I walked to the end of that pier

A few surfers were out today
enjoying the waves

Could be the start of a good ride

Love the surf when it . . .

. . . hits the beach rocks

The surf suddenly picked up

Balancing act

Flying Bicycles are BIG in Ventura

As I headed back to my car via Ventura's Main Street, I came upon colorful murals.

Is that . . .

. . . why yes it is Ernest Hemingway

The murals on this building all
had a Cuba theme to them

Cuban crocodile hitching a ride

The island of Cuba superimposed
on the dancer's leg on the right

Mission San Buenaventura

Founded in 1782, it was the ninth and final mission consecrated by the now controversial Father Junipero Serra.

Many business have expanded
into now pedestrian only
Main Street to comply with
Coronavirus protocols

It was open, so I just HAD to enter

Lots of basic Italian items
but nothing earth shaking

That's Junipero Serra on this
downtown building

The much larger Junipero Serra statue that for years stood in front of the old Ventura Government Center overlooking the beach was recently taken down because of Serra's purported less than Christian treatment of the local Native Americans 300+ years ago while creating his missions.

A secluded table for one

What did we do to merit this
"Ban Camarillo" line?

Yet another reminder of the
good times we enjoyed in Italy

She appeared to be quite angry

The 39 Steps
September 9-27, 2020

This comedic interpretation of Alfred Hitchcock's 1935 thriller film was supposed to play at the end of last month but, of course, the last half Rubicon Theater's 2019-20 season was cancelled due to, yet again, Covid-19 protocols.

I saw this play twice in London's Criterion Theater on Piccadilly Circus and it was a corker!

A few years ago, we saw it again in a small theater in Ojai and it was even better believe it or not.

I would have loved to see it at the Rubicon, maybe they'll perform it once the theater opens again somewhere in the hopefully near future.

It was a good walk,
my mind is more lucid now,
my Brain Fog may have lifted

No comments: