Tuesday, June 9, 2020

An Interesting and Diverse Start to the Week


Monday, June 8, 2020

I was surprised of the way Monday evolved . . .

A funny picture in
decidedly unfunny times

The morning was highlighted by breakfast with little Mary after her sleepover last night.

The traditional pancakes were the call and, at four years of age, Mary was more than ready to help me mix the batter and attempt to catch her first flying pancake, a family tradition

She happily listened to my
instructions on egg breaking

She did the honors on the second egg quite well in my opinion.

 She was a wizard with
the whisk and the batter

OPEN YOUR EYES MARY!

 OOPS!

Her first attempt at catching a flying pancake was on a par with Kevin's and Jacob's first attempts years ago.

A quick study, she did much better
with the morning's second pancake

 The girl can eat when given the chance

Breakfast was a blast today!

Later in the morning I had a Zoom meeting to attend with France's Julien Urgenti and Spain's Bart Iaccarino.

The purpose, I was told, was to discuss:  A. a possible Europe Warriors game in France and B. having Julien join the Europe Warriors in an advisory capacity.

Wrong on both counts.

The real purpose of this meeting was for them to pass a radical idea by me.

Back story first, our Europe Warriors will play a U19 game in Poland (Covid-19 permitting) on November 22nd. We will also have a Women's game in Barcelona two weeks later on December 5th.

Their idea was simple enough, yet another game in Barcelona on November 28th. It was just that their idea for a roster was much different.

They want to invite the players and coaches from all of my former EuroBall teams (Catania Elephants, Hässleholm Hurricanes, Thun Tigers, Buon-Villeurbanne Falcons, Murcia Cobras, Wäsby Warriors, Osos Rivas, Guadalajara Stings and Varese Skorpions) to Barcelona to play in what they are going to call the "Contreras Bowl."

They want to do this in reaction to my decision to retire from EuroBall coaching, other than Europe Warriors games.

I am thankful for their generous offer and happily agreed to the project as it would be so much fun to see all of their faces one more time, if possible.

The complex outside of Barcelona where
the Contreras Bowl players will be housed

The game will be played on one of
these fields at the same complex

Our "intense" three day preparation
schedule allows for lots of fun

I am so thankful for caring friends like Julien and Bart.

Again proving that the best thing about American football is the relationships that you make over the years.

Of course, the winds of social change were still blowing across all of America today including in our small city of Camarillo.

Former student Starr Moon
informed me about tonight's event

Laurie and I attended
the 90 minute vigil

It was simple, powerful and necessary.

2 comments:

David said...

I think the Contreras Bowl is one of the greatest ideas I have ever heard, and wish there was a way I could be there for it. I hope this happens.

George said...

Flabbergasted.