Tuesday, December 2, 2025

A Yuletide Trip Into Old Downtown Ventura


Monday, December 1, 2025
The final month of the year started with a Facebook memory.

Laurie received one of those posts this morning reminding her of things we had done on December 1st over the past few years. As it turned out, a lot of those memories revolved around holiday trips to Old Downtown Ventura, about five blocks of dining and shopping fun and magic.

First stop, lunch . . .

Eclectic but they did indeed
serve good food

It was a new dining experience for us
in a definite Christmas environment

We both opted for their Western Bacon Smash Cheeseburger and fries.

Laurie graciously ordered the single patty while I asserted my macho maleness to a certain degree by opting for the double patty version of their delicious offering. They also had triple and quadruple patty versions but I did not want to show off this early in our courting ritual which started but 60 years ago.

Damn good Smash Cheeseburger!

Let's shop . . .

With the old Ventura County Courthouse
in the background, workers were
starting to spruce up Old Town erecting
this tall Christmas tree

What an alley!

While Laurie seemingly ducked into every open shop to peruse the wares for sale, I sought solace anywhere that I could find it.

The Palermo Coffee Shop was
a good option for both of us

Their seasonal Peppermint Mocha Latte hit the spot!

This building puts the "old" in
Old Downtown Ventura

A combination ice cream shop and
beer bar looked intriguing

The Thrifty's Cappuccino Crunch was calling my name but being the health conscious nut that I am, I resisted temptation.

It wasn't easy.

Palm trees and Christmas decorations

Oh, the interesting things that one sees while sitting outdoors, soaking in the sunshine while your spouse browses.

We did purchase several items to use as gifts during the holidays for friends, family and ourselves too.

It was a GREAT day to be alive and out and about with a blond cutie by my side!

Random football news from the net . . .

Dick Bass was such a STUD
RB for the Rams when I was
much younger

The Soacha Rhinos, located in the
suburbs of Bogota, Colombia, are
looking for a football coach

Any takers out there?

"America's Game" is now only two
weeks away being played in Baltimore

Navy (9-2) is having another banner year while Army (6-5) has struggled but is bowl eligible.

The Midshipmen will be favored I'm sure which probably means that the Black Knights of the Hudson will record an upset win.

Exciting to see NCAA football
coming to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
next season

The wisecrack referring to the current state of ACC football in general is a sharply pointed barb indeed.

The Virginia Cavaliers (10-2) are having a good season and North Carolina State Wolfpack (7-5) are holding their own this season. It should be a good match-up come next August between two Atlantic Coast Conference teams.

I believe that he was also talking
about another ACC team, North Carolina,
playing the Big XII's TCU on the same
day in Dublin, Ireland

On the other, the ACC's North Carolina Tar Heels
(4-8) have been a major disappointment this season. The Big XII Conference's TCU Horned Frogs (8-4) will be a formidable opponent for UNC, I believe.

How the once mighty conference has fallen . . .

Still, I wouldn't mind attending either of these games in truly unique environments.

Finally . . .

100% AGREE!

No comments: