Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A BIG Time Jet Lag Hit and My First Skorpions Practice of 2020


Tuesday, 14 January, 2020

Well, it finally happened, Jet Lag punched me in the face and even kicked me when I was down today.

I set my alarm for 7:30 a.m. but did not awaken until 11:30 a.m.!

That added up to 12 hours of continuous hibernation on the part of my sleep deprived body.

I needed it.

While I was slumbering, a BIG
game was being played in New Orleans

My take on the contest, based on what I saw in the two semi-final games, was for LSU to win their fourth ever National Championship to join their 1958, 2007 and 2019 squads in Bayou lore.

My reasoning was simply that if Clemson's front four could not put pressure on Ohio State's QB in their semi-final, then they would not be able to against LSU's formidable offensive line either.

If this was indeed the case, then LSU's Heisman Trophy winning QB Joe Burrow would have a field day.

He did.

Burrow was 31 for 49 passing, good for 463 yards and five TDs. He also rushed for a TD for good measure.

LSU celebrating

It was fun to know that LSU Coach Ed Oregeron had piloted LSU through one of college football's all-time greatest seasons.

Coach O is a lifer who has outlasted the naysayers in charge of the USC football program who should have hired him when they had the chance back in 2013.

 Decisive
Clemson finished at 14-1 by the way

After finally awakening, I headed down to my favorite breakfast spot in Varese, Pasticerria Marabelli.

It was the first day that they were open since my arrival.

Cristina was the only server on duty now that the morning rush was over.

She happily greeted me and without asking turned around and prepared one of her wonderful cappuccinos for me.

The honey filled brioche was bigger than I remembered but just as delicious as ever.

The only negative was that as of 1 January the price of my breakfast had ballooned from 2.50 Euros to a whopping 2.60 Euros! This new price of 2.60 Euros equals about $2.89 USD.

Try getting a cappuccino and a fresh honey filled brioche (croissant) for $2.89 USD at Starbucks.

In the evening, it was time for my first practice with the Skorpions Prima Squadra.

Giorgio and Santa Barbara
were busy during pre-practice
making sure that all of the Skorpions
were on top of their paperwork for
the National Federation

 Our practice field for
January and February

We are not using Skorpion Field during these two usually harsh weather months to both give our home field a rest and insure a solid practice surface.

We used this field about four times last year when our field was frozen. Although this field is a bit on the small side for American football, its footing is excellent and forgiving as the field's artificial turf was replaced during the Summer.

I'm glad that the Skorpion leadership made this change for these first two month's to insure a good practice facility regardless of the climate.

At the end of practice, the thermometer in Giorgio's car said that it was 0°C/32°F. Thankfully, there was no wind this evening to add a wind chill factor to the equation.

 We had about 45 players at
tonight's workout

Amazingly, we have over 50 players on this year's roster.

WOW!

Coach Dani demonstrating a drill
technique to our Defensive Line

Offensive line working
on reach blocking

 Two-on-Two Inside Run Drill

Team Work saw the Defense
winning tonight

This is normal at the start of any American football season on any continent.

Of particular interest to me was the play tonight of two new players who I was in charge of during this team period.

One of them is the Defensive End in all black on the right. He is Paolino Chiolerio who transferred to the Skorpions from the DII Monza Brianza Hammers. Paolino is a veteran player who showed good technique and great effort tonight.

The other player in question is the Outside Linebacker with the red hoodie under his pads lined up directly behind Paolino. He is Filippo Zanon who will turn just 17 in a few weeks. I know him from our Flag teams the last two seasons. Tonight he showed a willingness to hit and run to the football  with relentless effort. His techniques are still a bit raw, but I know him to be a hard worker who rarely misses a practice.

Both of these players will be assets to the 2020 Skorpions if I don't miss my guess.

Finally, let me say how good it felt to be on the field with our coaches and players tonight. American football still has its hold on me and I love being on the field with motivated people.

Good Times INDEED! 

No comments: