Sunday, November 17, 2019

And Away We Go . . .


Friday and Saturday,
November 15-16, 2019

An extremely long and fun filled two days to be sure as our latest EuroBall Adventure literally took flight.

Since this trip is due to the Fourth Edition of our Europe Warriors all-star team contest next weekend in Vienna, Austria, let's start by introducing another coaching staff member . . .


I met energetic Ignacio last Summer when he volunteered to be a coach at our Venom Camp in Varese shadowing the Chicago Bears DB Coach at the camp.

Before flying out of LAX, my Press Agent had scheduled a meeting with two of this blog's oldest and most loyal readers in Burbank at BJ's Brewery. It was great to dine and touch base with both of them as always before crossing the Atlantic.

With Mike D'Antuono, Paul Sabolic and Laurie
in beautiful downton Burbank, California

We would arrive extremely early to the airport after after our fun lunch, so we took the long way in order to see . . .

How the new football stadium
for the Los Angeles Rams was
progressing in Inglewood

Lots of activity at the site slated to open for the 2020 season.

Are they going to make it on time?

The main reason that we were going to LAX this early was so that Laurie would not have to drive in Los Angeles' notorious Friday afternoon rush hour traffic. She later informed me that she took the always beautiful Pacific Coast Highway route home to Camarillo with little problems.

When we finally did arrive at LAX, there was unusually light traffic inside the airport. The check-in to my British Air flight was quite smooth as well.

I was excited to confirm what British Air had posted on their website which made my travel anxiety go way down, that they do indeed have a 53 lbs. weight limit on both my carry-on bag and an additional 53 lbs. on the weight of my back pack, HEAVEN!

British Air's policy basically says that if your carry-on fits in the overhead and your back pack can squeeze under the seat in front of you, GO FOR IT!

Since I am traveling without stowing a bag in the jet's cargo hold, I was a happy flyer.

The fact that I had my preferred aisle seat and nobody sitting next to me just added to the enjoyment of my nine hour and 25 minute flight as did . . .

. . . having an episode of my favorite
Italian policeman's TV show as a
choice on the plane's entertainment menu

This Inspector Montalbano episode was in Italian, with some Sicilian dialect as is the norm, without English subtitles.

I'm happy to report that I understood most of the dialogue!

Capisce?

I arrived at London's Heathrow Airport none the worse for wear and ready to sight see my way through any jet lag that I faced.

Yes, I'm definitely in the U.K.

I treated myself to the luxury of riding the Heathrow Express into . . .

. . . Paddington Station

Which was only a brisk eight minute walk from my hotel for the next three days . . .

. . . the London Elizabeth Hotel
next to Hyde Park

The spacious London Elizabeth Hotel's
main elevator or lift as the Brits call it

Note the size of my foot in the doorway of the lift that holds a . . .

. . . maybe they are referring to
Kevin, Jacob and Mary

The view out of my
hotel room's window

Once checked in, I was ready to explore.

At lunch on Friday, Paul had asked what I was going to see on my first day in the British Capital?

Good question.

I opted for something that I had never done in previous visits to London but first I needed to use my Oyster card to go onto London's famed underground Tube System.

This Tube station is about
50 meters from my hotel

SUPERB!

I only needed to travel two underground stops to my destination, Notting Hill Gate.

Typical street in Notting Hill

I do love heraldry to this day!

FOLLOW THAT SIGN!

The famous and huge Portobello Market held on Saturdays that sells any and everything under the Sun was my first goal of the trip.

Thank you Paul for spurring me to journey outside my normal London comfort zone.

Not having to watch over Laurie's shopping habits at a street market like this one made things a bit more economically prudent.

But you know, I was getting hungry . . .

The gorgonzola and red onion arancini
made by the Sardinian family that
runs this eatery was OUTSTANDING!

I was indeed in Notting Hill

Tourists seem to love invading people's
living space on Portobello Road to take
photos in front of their colorful doorways

I opted to just take a few pictures of the doors sans pushy tourists.

I really liked this one

There was a chill in the air, perfect for . . .

Some hot mulled wine

She was from Italy too and let me know on the side that she uses Italian wine in her concoction.

It hit the spot to be sure!

I kept walking down the road
to find even more treasures

More colorful houses and lots of shoppers

. . . said no Italian EVER!

Oh how I miss my beloved Italian culture and friends.

Bric-a-brac anyone?

Already missing Laurie

Shopping at the Portobello Market
is part roller derby too

So interesting

Perfect spot to find all things
athletic in brown leather

PETA approved?

The grandkids would have loved
this vendor's wares!

Check out those crazy
potato chips on a stick at the right

They looked wonderful to me but I passed, my body is a temple you know.

Looked healthy to me

Pubs like this one are everywhere
on Portobello Road

I tried the tasty Wild Mushroom Quiche
and was quite satisfied

Another corner pub

NO WAY was I going into this bar!

Look up the Mau Mau Uprising on the internet and you'll understand my caution.

This stall sold chips, aka, French fries

The one, and only one, that I sampled was excellent!

Too early for a Santa to be outside
collecting for Christmas

This far north, it gets dark at
about 4:00 p.m.

One can never have too many
feathered caps

Not 100% sure what these well
displayed items are but I know
Laurie would have bought a few

Prisoners of Portobello Road

I liked her colorful hats but only looked

The Portobello Market was a great experience that I highly recommend to any visitor to London on a Saturday. 

Interestingly, English seemed to be a minority language as I heard mostly Italian, French, German and various Asian and Nordic dialects being spoken.

It was almost like a Saturday shopping at the Camarillo Premium Outlets.

Not tonight

The U.K. is famed for their cutting
edge dental advancements

This bus was definitely NOT
heading where I wanted to
go on this chilly evening

Standing on this bridge gave me
a great view farther down the
Thames River of the . . .

. . . picturesque Tower Bridge

That tall building is known locally
as "The Shard" and sits on the
south bank of the Thames River

 A temporary holiday ice skating
rink next to the Tower of London

The Tower of London

"OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"

 Dr. Who's Tardis?

 Trafalgar Square on a November night

A Christmas Market in front of
the National Gallery

Let's investigate . . .

Nice ornaments

Nicer chocolates

After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In a major upset, I said no.

 Assyrian art on Trafalgar Square?

One of Trafalgar Square's
famed lions

On guard at the Royal Horse
Guards Parade Grounds

 We were warned

 The London Eye on the south bank
of the Thames River

 The famed clock on the
Big Ben Tower

Big Ben is the large bell atop the tower, not the clock as most tourists believe.

After a long two days in both
hemispheres, it was "Home Sweet Home"
back at the London Elizabeth Hotel

No wonder I'm tired tonight!

But I'll be back at it bright and early on Sunday.

2 comments:

David said...

If you found a one-hour, 25-minute flight from LAX to London, I congratulate you for completing your astronaut training.

George said...

OOPS! One hour, nine hours . . . in a geological age perspective, what's really the difference?