Thursday, November 15, 2018

Our Last Day on the East Coast Swing


Sunday, November 11, 2018

We bid a thankful farewell to Jim Philbin for his generous hospitality in letting us spend the night at his wonderful home last night and started our drive down to New Jersey from Connecticut to visit some more friends.

So just how naturally beautiful is Ridgefield, Connecticut this time of year you ask?

Quite beautiful actually

About 90 minutes later we were in . . .

 . . . New Jersey to meet with . . .

. . . the one and only Moe DeCandia!

First of all, Moe is a legend in the East Coast labor relations field. More impressively, he has lost 140 pounds since the last time I saw him!

I literally did not recognize him at first. As soon as he started talking and allowed to let his personality come out, I knew that it was indeed Moe and not an imposter.

We had a great time for about an hour before having to head out to a diner in nearby Harrison, NJ, recommended by Moe to meet yet another friend.

 500 Passaic Avenue
Harrison, NJ 07029
(973) 481-0490

Don't let the rough and tumble industrial neighborhood scare you off, this is a GOOD place!

The Brick City Lions Pop Warner
Cheerleaders were asking for donations
to help with their upcoming trip to a
competition in Florida

How could I say no?

Mark's other New Jersey
connection, Chris Curtis

In another life they were both excellent international wrestling referees.

The coffee was good and the
Colorado Omelet was heavenly but . . .

 . . . the Oreo Cheesecake was AMAZING!

Weight conscious, we of course shared

Laura was a great server who made
our brunch even better with
her positive attitude and smile

After our brunch, it was time to say adieu to Chris and journey on to Newark's Liberty Airport for the flight home to Los Angeles.

First we had to cross this
rusted out old bridge

Somehow, it held.

I like New Jersey as it turns out

My concern getting home was the raging wildfires in Ventura County that could have posed a problem with Laurie being able to pick me up at LAX.

 See what I mean?

The Pacific Coast Highway, seen here, and the Ventura Freeway were both shut down but Laurie was able to circumvent the fires by going via the 118 Simi Valley/Ronald Reagan Freeway.

I had a ride home.

This is how extensive
the fires were as I flew

While in flight the Rams did it again!
9-1!

Thank God the Deacon was ready
to play and stepped in for that slacker
Todd Gurley II

An interesting thing happened on my way home to Los Angeles.

Mark had me upgraded to First Class and I was assigned a seat in Row 1 on the aisle. There was already a man sitting in the adjoining window seat who looked familiar.

Wouldn't you know it, it was actor . . .

F. Murray Abraham
Winner of the 1985
Academy Award for Best Actor

He won for his portrayal of Antonio Salieri in the film Amadeus.

Whenever I am near a celebrity, I try to live by one rule -- they need their privacy and should not be unnecessarily bothered with fan worship.

Thus, it was a no selfie and I kept conversation to a minimum.

We did exchange pleasantries on our six hour flight but I did the best I could to let him have his space.

I passed on dessert but he implored me to partake of the same one he had, a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a shot of whisky poured on it. I was still strong after that Oreo Cheesecake at Tops Diner earlier in the day and said no to temptation.

When we finally arrived at LAX, I was the first one off the plane and once in the gate's waiting area I stopped to rearrange my backpack, coat and carry-on bag.

When I looked up F. Murray Abraham himself was standing there waiting for me to finish. Being not as good an actor as he is, he was able to see through my charade of not knowing who he was.

Surprisingly he put forth his hand and as we shook he said, "Thank you for a nice flight." 

I think that he appreciated the space I had given him.

I leaned in and said to him in a low voice so as not to draw any unwanted attention, "I loved you as the grapes in those Fruit -of-the-Loom commercials."

He looked at me, broke into a huge smile, started laughing and said, "You remember those ads?"

My response was simply, "It was your seminal role."

He kept on laughing harder and just said, "Those commercials paid for my kids. Have a safe trip home."

So ended a great ten day American football adventure with a whole bunch of friends!

My life is blessed.

1 comment:

David said...

Love the F.Murray Abraham story. A friend of mine was in a play with him a few years back. Tremendous actor; sounds like a good person, too.