Sunday, September 7, 2008

Peppe and Valeria's Excellent Adventure


After our scrimmage Friday, I got a phone call from Laurie informing me that Peppe and Valeria had called her with a change of travel plans.

They left our house Friday morning at about 10:00 a.m. to go shopping in the Camarillo Premium Outlet Mall. Instead of just a couple of hours as planned, they kept buying priceless treasures until 4:30 p.m.! From there, they drove about one hour north to Santa Barbara and had dinner on State Street.

During dinner they found out that Santa Barbara was hosting a Beach Volleyball Tournament starting at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday. Among the competitors were the men's team of Philip Dalhausser and Todd Rogers as well as the women's team of Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor. As you may recall, both of these teams won their respective Gold Medals in the Beijing Olympics last month.

They decided that they could not pass up the tournament and so they came back to Casa Contreras before going back to Santa Barbara Saturday morning. We were really glad to have more time with the two of them! 

Thanks for supporting the sagging American economy!

... and supporting

... and SUPPORTING!!!

Away go our happy friends...

... NOT SO FAST!

Ten minutes after they left our house, Laurie discovered this bag of new clothes that Valeria had left behind at our house. We called them but they did not answer their cell phone so I jumped into the old Chrysler LHS and tried to catch them on the road knowing that if I didn't, I would try to find them at the tournament.

The only problem was that I left in such a hurry that I forgot my cell phone. I got to Santa Barbara and was able to talk the security guard into letting me in for free to try to find them. There were 8 different courts set up and I did get to see parts of both Olympic Gold Medalist teams play while I searched for Peppe and Valeria.

After 45 minutes, I gave up and headed for my car to go home a defeated Samaritan. Then suddenly as I drove down Cabrillo St. by the beach I heard a faint voice yell "George!"... it was Valeria. We hooked up and you can see her above getting her bag back.

Nothing Succeeds Like Blind Luck!
 

No comments: